Menu Close

Do I Qualify For VA Aid And Attendance?

To get the VA Aid and Attendance benefit, a veteran or their spouse needs to have financial need, be honorably discharged, and have a disability or need help with daily tasks because of their service. Also, they must have served during WWII, the Korean Conflict and/or the Vietnam War.

What Is VA Aid And Attendance?

VA Aid and Attendance is extra money from the government for veterans who need help with daily tasks or are housebound due to disability, providing financial assistance for those who served in the military and require caregiving support.

What Does The VA Aid And Attendance Cover?

Elderly veterans or their widowed spouses who can’t handle their care alone can get VA Aid and Attendance benefits. These benefits help pay for…

  • assisted living
  • memory care
  • nursing homes
  • home care services

How Does VA Aid And Attendance Work?

The Veteran’s Administration Aid And Attendance benefits, also known as Housebound benefits, provide an additional monthly income to financially needy military vets.

These benefits are for those who are housebound, disabled, or need home care services like assistance with ADLs (activities of daily living).

These monthly VA benefits are provided in addition to a basic monthly VA pension, if you are already receiving one.

I’m not going to sugar-coat it, there is some paperwork involved and a lot of proof that you’ll need to gather before submitting your application.

The tax-free benefit, however, ranges between $1200 (surviving spouse) to $1880 (veteran), which can be a great boost to your annual income.

It seems it would be very worth jumping through these hoops to obtain it.

Also, know that the application process is basically the same whether you are a single veteran or a married veteran.

How Do I Qualify For Veterans Aid And Attendance Benefits?

To qualify for Aid and Attendance, your countable income and MAPR must qualify you for a VA pension. Also, this VA benefit has a net worth limit of $130,773 in 2021. If you meet all these financial requirements, you qualify for Aid and Attendance, whether you’re a Veteran or a surviving spouse.

For information on Maximum Annual Pension Rate (MAPR) for 2022 -click here.

Before you begin the application process, you must first qualify. In order to qualify for VA Aid and Attendance benefits, you have to meet the following eligibility requirements in several categories:

According to the Veteran’s Administration website, “You may be eligible for the Veterans Pension program if you meet the requirements listed below.

Both of these must be true:

  • You didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge, and
  • Your yearly family income and net worth meet certain limits set by Congress. Your net worth includes all personal property you own (except your house, your car, and most home furnishings), minus any debt you owe. Your net worth includes the net worth of your spouse.

And at least one of these must be true about your service. You:

  • Started on active duty before September 8, 1980, and you served at least 90 days on active duty with at least 1 day during wartime, or
  • Started on active duty as an enlisted person after September 7, 1980, and served at least 24 months or the full period for which you were called or ordered to active duty (with some exceptions) with at least 1 day during wartime, or
  • Were an officer and started on active duty after October 16, 1981, and you hadn’t previously served on active duty for at least 24 months

And at least one of these must be true. You:

  • Are at least 65 years old, or
  • Have a permanent and total disability, or
  • Are a patient in a nursing home for long-term care because of a disability, or
  • Are getting Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income”

There are also certain wartime service dates during which you must have served, in order to qualify:

Each individual wartime period that the V.A. states include:

  • Mexican Border period (May 9, 1916, to April 5, 1917, for Veterans who served in Mexico, on its borders, or in adjacent waters)
  • World War I (April 6, 1917, to November 11, 1918)
  • World War II (December 7, 1941, to December 31, 1946)
  • Korean conflict (June 27, 1950, to January 31, 1955)
  • Vietnam War era (February 28, 1961, to May 7, 1975, for Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period. August 5, 1964, to May 7, 1975, for Veterans who served outside the Republic of Vietnam.)
  • Gulf War (August 2, 1990, through a future date to be set by law or presidential proclamation)”

IMPORTANT: surviving spouses who have not remarried may also qualify for benefits. Be sure to pass this info to a senior parent or elderly loved one if they are/were married to a military veteran who may have qualified.

Other factors the Veterans Administration may consider include whether you have private health insurance or have a permanent disability related to your military service.

Qualified veterans are strongly encouraged to take advantage of this benefit.

How To Apply For VA Aid And Attendance Benefits

The Veteran’s Administration has the application and step by step instructions on their website (click here).

You start the process by creating a free, online account. After you’ve done that, they estimate that it will take about 25 minutes to complete the application.

You can get help from an accredited representative if you have trouble filling out the forms (click here for help).

Lastly, you’ll need to gather supporting info, such as medical information and bank account information

They also have a speedier pension claim process, called the Fully Developed Claim (FDC) program. It’s no risk to you and is touted as “the fastest way to get your VA claim processed.”

You can learn more about the FCD program by clicking here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Join our thriving network of 6,685 caregivers and seniors.
Subscribe to our newsletter now!

Granddaughter caring for her grandmother.

Filled with…

Click Here To Subscribe