It’s not easy getting a gift for older people who have everything.
With Christmas just around the corner, you may be scratching your head and going through catalogs or online stores (or even going to the store) looking for ideas.
But, let’s face it, seniors can be hard to shop for. They may already have just about everything they need or maybe they downsized and don’t have the need or desire for more material things.
So, what do you get them?
Well, my rule of thumb is to try to give thoughtful gifts that are also useful. Even if it’s to just replace or update something they already have.
What Is A Good Gift For Older Parents?
If you’re looking for good gifts for older parents or other elderly people, consider something that can help to make their lives easier.
Some examples could be…
- A lightweight vacuum or maybe even a robotic one can be a great idea
- An echo show device so they can easily order items from Amazon, check the news, the weather, make a video call, etc.
- Update all their smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, etc.
- Pay for a handyman service to do the odds and ends in the house that your parents can no longer do.
- A photo frame with a photo of a special occasion (like their anniversary).
- If they’re having trouble standing up from a sitting position consider a lift chair, a car cane, chair lift assist, etc.
- Pay for Uber trips to and from a doctor’s appointment. This can be a great present for older adults who aren’t driving any more.
- A large number alarm clock. A very good gift for seniors with low vision.
- Enrollment in a class to learn a new hobby. You can compliment this with a basket filled with tools they may need for their new class.
A gift doesn’t necessarily have to be a physical object. You could also give the gift of your time. This is especially valuable to seniors who may not have many people to talk to on a regular basis.
You could offer to:
- Take them on a weekly walk
- Help them with yard work or housework
- Play cards or board games with them
- Cook meals for them once a week
- Take them to appointments or run errands for them
- Read to them
- Listen to their stories
Whatever you do, make sure it is something that the senior will enjoy and appreciate. It will mean the world to them, and brighten up their day.
Unique Gifts For Older Parents Who Have Everything
It can be tough to come up with gift ideas for older parents who seem to have everything they could possibly want. But don’t worry – we’ve got you covered.
Here are some unique gift ideas that your older parents will love:
A nice piece of jewelry. This could be a necklace, earrings, or even a bracelet. Something that they can wear and enjoy for years to come.
- ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, PLEASE DO NOT COPY. (版权所有，请勿抄袭）❤ROSE FLOWER HEART DESIGN❤ The unique rose heart design symbolizes eternal love, when she wears this necklace, she will be reminded of your love and all the laughter. The necklace is the perfect gift not only to express your love, but also to express your love for your wife, girlfriend, mother and other people you love. Wearing this 925 Sterling Silver Rose Heart Necklace you will get compliments from everyone around you.
A gift card to their favorite restaurant. This way, they can treat themselves to a night out on the town.
- Gift Card is affixed inside a mini envelope
Grocery Store Gift Card
A gift card to their grocery store. These days, with food prices so high, this could be one of the best useful gifts. Tuck it into this beautiful gift envelope.
- Ornaments Mini Envelopes: A great alternative to custom-printed envelopes, Guardian’s card protector has a die-cut gift box shape extending from the edge of the envelope. These gift card holders have a unique design ideal for holiday and birthday gifts.
Custom Photo Album
A custom-made photo album. This is a great way to help them preserve their memories and a good excuse to go over family photos.
- Custom Engraved Monogram: Personalized with family monogram for special touch
Digital Photo Frame
A digital photo frame is another way to exhibit photos that get automatically updated for them.
- ❤A PERFECT GIFT TO KEEP YOU CONNECTED: Instantly share photos from your phone to an AEEZO digital photo frame through AiMOR app; Invite unlimited friends and family to share pictures to your digital picture frame or send photos to their digital picture frames all via WiFi; Additionally, it is a perfect gift for the elderly who are not good at using smart phones to stay connected with the younger generation.
A Spa Day
A gift certificate for a day of pampering. This could include a massage, manicure, and pedicure. Something to help them relax and feel spoiled.
- What You Get – 30 pcs gold foil gift certificates with 30 blue envelopes, card size is 3.5*7″.
Discovering The Family Tree
A session with a geneologist to work on the family tree. Or, family members can get together and do their own research.
- Elder, Diana (Author)
- ONE-BUTTON LIGHT THERAPY: The easiest light therapy lamp you’ll ever use! Just press the on/off button and you’re ready to kickstart your morning. HappyLight Lucent delivers up to 10,000 lux of UV-free, LED, full-spectrum light for effective, safe, and natural light therapy that’s free from glares, flickering, and hotspots
A light therapy lamp to help with the winter blues.
One of my favorite useful gifts to give is a set of nice bed linens. This can be a luxurious and practical gift.
- 🥰 Truly The Softest & Coziest 100% Egyptian Cotton Sheet Set: “Honestly, it’s better than the luxury sheets in the five-star hotel bedroom,” as per one of our customers. Made from soft, extra long-staple 100% pure cotton and sateen weave, our Egyptian cotton sheets queen size set is silky, ultra smooth, thick, and heavy. These 600 thread count cotton sheets for queen size bed are great for hot sleepers—and keep you cool, cozy, and breathable in all seasons.
A subscription to a magazine or online service related to their favorite hobby.
If they’ve kept their record albums, a new record player may be the perfect present for them.
- THREE SPEED BELT-DRIVEN TURNTABLE – This 3-speed (33 1/3, 45, 78 rpm) suitcase record player features UPGRADED PREMIUM SOUND QUALITY and sits on sound isolating feet that prevent vibration. It is perfect for your living room, bedroom or office.
Easy Remote Control
These are just a few ideas to get you started. Whatever you choose, make sure it is something that your parent will appreciate and use.
Holiday Gifts For Elderly Parents
During the holiday season, there’s Christmas, Hannukah and Kwanza. Whichever holiday you and your family celebrates, there are wonderful gifts that you can give to your elderly parents to celebrate.
Here are some thoughtful holiday gifts for elderly parents.
1. A basket filled with their favorite things. This is a great gift idea for elderly parents because it shows that you care about their interests and what they like. Fill a basket with their favorite snacks, books, movies, or anything else that they enjoy.
2. An experience gift. Another great gift idea for elderly parents is an experience gift. This could be tickets to a show, a day at a spa, or anything else that they would enjoy. This type of gift is especially thoughtful because it’s something that they can enjoy together with you.
3. A donation in their name. If your elderly parents are philanthropic, consider making a donation in their name to their favorite charity. This is a great way to show them that you care about their causes and what they’re passionate about.
4. A personalized gift. Another thoughtful gift idea for elderly parents is something that is personalized with their name or initials. This could be a coffee mug, a keychain, or anything else that you know they would love.
5. A gift card. Sometimes the best gift is one that let’s them choose what they want. If you’re not sure what to get your elderly parents, a gift card is always a great option. You can get them a gift card to their favorite restaurant, store, or even online.
Hopefully these gift ideas have inspired you and given you some great ideas for what to get your elderly parents this holiday season. Remember, it’s the thought that counts so make sure whatever you choose is something that you know they will love and appreciate.
Inexpensive Gifts For Senior Citizens
You don’t have to spend a lot of money for a gift for someone. Sometimes, the best gifts are things that come from the heart. Here are some inexpensive gift ideas for senior citizens.
A photo album or scrapbook. This is a great way to help a senior citizen keep memories alive.
- Malden Family Everything Photo Album
A personalized mug or water bottle. This is a practical gift that can be used every day.
- HOW TO CUSTOMIZE: First select a design you like, then click on the customize button, follow the intro, provide a name or text, and you’ll get a unique customized water bottle.
A large print password book to record their login information so it’s always at their fingertips.
- Press, Couch Cats (Author)
A plant or flowers. This is a living gift that will brighten up any room.
- CLEANER AIR: Our variety pack of live air purifying plants helps keep your indoor air fresh and clean by naturally filtering out pollutants and toxins. Many indoor plants also act as natural humidifiers, adding moisture in the air so you can breathe better
A puzzle or game. This is a fun way to help pass the time.
- CUSTOMIZED: Made especially for you with your personalized photo. Upload a special photo from your wedding, a romantic date, your family, a special photograph, a pet, or anything you desire!
A book. This is a great way to provide entertainment and knowledge.
- Audible Audiobook
A homemade coupon book with different coupons for different things they can do around the house (i.e. free back rubs, chores, etc.)
A basket filled with their favorite snacks and drinks.
- GOURMET GIFT BASKETS: Send joy anywhere with individually wrapped sweets and snacks handcrafted for your recipient. Beautifully packaged, this gift basket is perfect for congratulations, appreciation, thank you, birthday, retirement, or engagement.
A festive holiday-themed mug or plate.
- A AWESOME GIFT==>Perfect for any friend or relative…it is the gift that will keep on gifting the whole year through.
A personalized key ring or keychain.
- Custom Stamped: Personalize your leather engravable keychain with capitalized alphabets (A-Z), names, and even symbols. Our custom stamping process ensures a clean and crisp imprint on personalized leather tags that stand the test of time.
A unique piece of clothing that fits their personality.
- Fun design of a Chicken wrapped up in Christmas lights, with text that says: Merry Cluckmas. Perfect for any Farmer or Chicken owner who is celebrating Christmas. Wear this funny Christmas design to the farm or to a family dinner.
A basket filled with items they can use on a relaxing weekend getaway.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY from PICNIC at ASCOT USA – Designers and Manufacturers for over 25 years of a Wide Range of High Quality Picnic Baskets, Coolers, Wine Carriers & Life Style Products
These are just a few inexpensive gift ideas for senior citizens. Whatever you choose, make sure it is something that comes from the heart.
Best Gifts For Retired Parents
Your parents have worked for a very long time. Retirement is something they’ve most likely looked forward to.
So go ahead and give them something this Christmas that they can appreciate during this next phase of their lives.
Cell Phone Wallet
A small wallet attached to the cell phone is great because all you then have to take with you (most of the time) is your phone. One less thing to forget!
- Highly elastic&Put more-This cell phone card holder is made of stretchy Lycra fabric with self adhesive sticker,which holds the content of the pocket from falling,even when the phone pocket is upside down.Touch much soft than silicone and leather card holder.Suitable for back of phone or phone case.The pocket is suitable for credit cards or ID cards.Small but very handy&functional for mobile phone.
I personally do not like to travel but so many folks do and when you’re retired, that seems to be the number one activity on the To Do list! So why not gift them a brand new luggage set?
- Worldwide 2 year warranty. The sets include a 20 inch carry-on luggage, 24 inch medium luggage, 28 inch large luggage and a 15 inch tote bag.
Hobbies are another great activity that can finally be enjoyed to their fullest when you’re retired. Supply them with the tools and/or kits that they can use to enjoy this pastime.
- TRENDY AESTHETIC DECOR: Decorate your home with Hapinest Potted Felt Succulents. It makes a great accent piece for your bedroom, office, living room, kitchen, or coffee table. Brighten up your surroundings with your very own DIY houseplants.
Relaxing in the backyard is something that I know many of my retired friends love to do. They set up bird feeders, outdoor fire pits and of course, lounge on their patio furniture.
A new set may be a great holiday gift, even if they won’t be able to use it until springtime!
- ✔〖EASY ASSEMBLY〗: This Outdoor Furniture Set Comes With All Hardware & Necessary Tools. Follow The Instruction, You Can Easily And Quickly Assemble The Patio Sofa Set.NOTE: When you try to install the Patio Furniture Set, try to line the hole together in all side, do not over tight one hole, then try to tight it slowly in each side.
When my father-in-law retired, he began working on his Memoirs. He wanted to jot down the many adventures of his life and the family has been grateful for it ever since!
There are many wonderful books out there that you can gift your senior loved one so they can write down their life’s events.
- Thoughtful Life Story Book: Answer guided questions and educate your grandchildren about the experiences that shaped you into who you are today. With simple, guided prompts and empty space for photos, you can reflect on your life and share formative happenings in our ivory life story journal.
Food Gifts For Seniors
Food gifts can be a great gift because it’s usually something that they don’t normally buy for themselves. So it can truly be a treat.
You can even buy a subscription so that they receive a basket of food every so often.
Here are some great food gift ideas for older adults.
Is there anything better than receiving a box of chocolates? We think not! Chocolate is always a good idea when it comes to food gifts. You can get them a box of their favorite chocolates or even better, get them a chocolate making kit so they can make their own!
- 😋 Delicious down to the last crumb: Indulge in twenty-four gourmet biscotti bedecked with six decadent flavors. Do you have a boss you need to please? A girlfriend to show love to? A boyfriend to win over? Store bought candies or flowers pale next to these authentic biscotti!
Tea is a great gift for seniors because it’s something that they can enjoy any time of day. Plus, there are so many different flavors and varieties to choose from, so you’re sure to find the perfect one for your loved one.
- Send a tea gift set to convey your warmest wishes with this perfectly presented TEA SAMPLER GIFT SET BOX. Unique tea gift basket for tea lovers includes a vacuum insulated stainless steel tea mug with lid and a tea sampler gift set of 12 different teas (black, green, white, organic, decaf and herbal) paired with all natural honey sticks. Every item is of the highest quality making this the best tea gifts for tea lovers women & men.
Coffee is another great gift idea for seniors. They can enjoy it in the morning or afternoon, and there are plenty of flavors to choose from. If your loved one is a coffee lover, they’re sure to appreciate this gift.
- Gourmet Indulgence: Our Coffee & Snacks Indulgence Set is a heavenly combination of gourmet mocha mix, chocolate truffles, and premium coffee candies. Packed in a keepsake reusable box.
Who doesn’t love baked goods? Seniors will love receiving homemade cookies, cakes, or even breads. If you’re not a great baker, no worries! There are plenty of bakeries that offer delicious baked goods that make great gifts.
- ASSORTED DELECTABLES: Dulcet Deluxe Package includes: 4 Assorted Brownies-Flavors include: Chocolate Cheese, Chocolate Fudge, Chocolate Chip Blondie and/or Walnut, 1 Chocolate Crumb Cake, 1 Raspberry Crumb Cake, 1 Old Fashioned Crumb Cake, 1/2 Lb. Assorted Rugelah- Flavors include: Chocolate Chip, Cinnamon Sugar, Raspberry and/or Apricot, and 2 3oz Blueberry Muffins.
Fruit is a healthy and delicious option for seniors. It’s a great way to give them something sweet without overloading them with sugar. Plus, there are so many different types of fruit to choose from, so you can find the perfect gift for your loved one.
Dried fruit is a great alternative to fresh fruit for seniors. It’s still healthy and delicious, but it has a longer shelf life, so your loved one can enjoy it for months to come.
- 🍎 Delicious dried fruit Gift Tray comes on foldable Wooden Fruit Bowl.
Nuts are another great option for seniors. They’re a healthy snack that can be enjoyed on the go, and they come in a variety of flavor options.
- 🎄 🎁 A HEALTHY GIFT THAT WILL WOW: This Oh! Nuts sectional party tray is packed full of healthy treats. Featuring an assortment of high-quality GRADE A fresh nuts, the lidded box has been neatly divided into 7 compartments. The unique blend of flavors creates a gift presentation that is both beautiful and flavorful.
If your loved one has a sweet tooth, then candy is the perfect gift for them. There are so many different types of candy to choose from, so you can find the perfect treat for your loved one.
- CONTENTS: The CRAVEBOX Snack Box features an extensive range of snacks and candies that offer a mix of sweet, salty, and savory flavors. This snack box provides a wide selection of classic and new favorites, perfect for satisfying any craving.
Soup and Crackers
Soup and crackers make a great gift for seniors. It’s a simple, but delicious, meal that can be enjoyed anytime.
- Have someone feel better without leaving your couch to surprise them with a unique box basket of goodies from around the world
This article has affiliate or sponsored links. If you buy something through those links we may earn a small commission. This won’t cost you extra. We only recommend things we really think are good, not just to make money. For more details, see our Affiliate Disclaimer.