Once the sun goes down, the world becomes a darker and scarier place. That’s especially true if you live alone or aren’t able to get around as well as you used to.
For me, I always start worrying about safety when my husband is traveling for work – then I hear every creak and pop of the house adjusting to the lower nighttime temperatures.
At that point, I’m super happy to have solar powered motion security lights in the front and back of my house!
If you’re a senior looking for a way to improve your home security, solar powered security lights may be a good option for you, too.
Solar energy lights are easy to install and require no electricity, which can save you money on your energy bills. They will continue to work during a power outage.
A set of lights can be placed anywhere in your yard, so you can customize your home’s security system to fit your needs.
Additionally, the presence of a powerful light in your outdoor space can help deter burglars and increase your sense of safety.
Keep reading to find out the benefits and features of this type of lighting, plus what you should look for in a set of solar security lights for your home.
What To Look For In Solar Powered Security Lights
As I was saying, solar powered security lights can be a great way to help us feel more secure in our homes.
You may already have some type of solar outdoor lights in your garden or on your patio, but that’s more for ambiance and to help you see better in the dark. Solar security lights serve a bigger purpose.
Well-lit areas around the home can deter would-be burglars, as well as helping seniors avoid trips and falls.
Here are some things to consider when deciding if solar powered security lights are right for you.
Do you live in a sunny area? A solar light fixture needs direct sunlight to work well.
If your home is shaded by trees or other buildings, the rechargeable battery might not get enough sun to power the lights effectively.
How much light do you need? Be sure to check the lumens (a measure of brightness) of the security light before you buy it.
A higher lumen rating means a brighter light. You’ll also want to think about how far away from your home you want the light to reach.
What’s your budget? The initial cost of solar security lights can be more than traditional lighting, but they have the benefit of not requiring any electricity to run.
Do you need a light with a motion sensor? This is a great feature if you want the light to turn on automatically when someone approaches your home. A solar motion sensor light can also help conserve battery power.
Now that you have a better idea of whether your home is a good candidate for solar powered security lights, let’s look at the top 8 most important features to look for when purchasing this type of outdoor light.
1. Brightness: You’ll want a light that is bright enough to deter intruders and light up your property. The light should be bright enough to illuminate the area you want it to, but not so bright that it’s a nuisance to your neighbors.
2. Motion sensor: Motion sensor lights will keep the light in standby mode and activate when it detects movement, which can help startle and deter potential criminals. It’s a good idea to check the sensor range before purchasing solar motion lights to make sure it it will cover a wide area.
3. Timer: A timer allows you to set how long the light stays on, so you don’t have to worry about it running all night and wasting energy.
4. Weather-resistant: Since the light will be outdoors, you’ll want to make sure it can withstand rain, snow, and other weather conditions.
5. Easy installation: You shouldn’t need an electrician to install your solar light, so look for one that is easy to set up.
6. Solar panel: The solar panel should be efficient and able to recharge the batteries quickly.
7. Battery life: A good battery will last for several nights, so you don’t have to worry about recharging it every day.
8. Durability: Since the light will be for outdoor use, it should be made from sturdy materials that can withstand harsh weather conditions.
How Many Lumens Do I Need For Outdoor Security Lighting?
When shopping for outdoor solar security lights, you may wonder how many lumens you need.
The answer depends on a few factors, including the size of the area you’re trying to light and the level of illumination you desire.
In general, solar-powered security lights with a higher lumen count are more beneficial, as they provide a bright light that can better illuminate dark areas.
Additionally, seniors and older adults who live in rural areas or areas with little artificial light may also find that having security lights with a higher lumen count is the best choice for them, as they provide more light to help the person see at night.
Solar-powered security lights typically range from around 30 lumens up to 150 lumens. When choosing a solar security light, look for one that has at least 400 lumens.
This will provide enough light to adequately illuminate a small area. For a larger area, you’ll need a light with more lumens.
Also, some solar security lights have an adjustable beam, so you can direct the light where you need it most. This is especially helpful if you’re trying to light a large area, so be sure to choose one that has this feature.
As you can see, there’s really no hard and fast answer to how many lumens you’ll need in a security light because it depends on the specific area and your unique needs and preferences.
If you want a light that is just bright enough to help you see at night, then a light with a lower lumen count may be sufficient.
However, if you are looking for a light that will provide maximum illumination and security, then opting for a higher lumen count is the way to go.
Do Solar Lights Stay On All Night?
Have no fear! Most solar lights have an automatic on/off switch that turns the light on at dusk and off at dawn.
As long as the batteries have a full charge and the equipment is in good shape, the lights will turn on and stay on all night.
I know I appreciate our solar flood lights in our backyard for their ease of use. With traditional lights, I would have to remember to turn them on and off every day.
But with solar lights, I don’t have to worry about that because they’ll do it by themselves.
That said, some solar lights do have a manual on/off switch.
If you have solar lights with this type of switch, you’ll need to remember to turn them off in the morning so they can recharge during the day.
Otherwise, they’ll just stay on until the batteries run out of power.
Do Solar Lights Still Charge When Turned Off?
Yes, solar lights will still charge when turned off. However, the amount of power that they generate will be reduced.
These lights rely on a solar panel to collect energy from the sun during the day. This energy is then stored in a battery until it is needed.
When the solar light is turned on, the battery powers the light. If the solar light is turned off, the battery will still be charging, but at a slower rate.
How long it takes for a solar light to fully charge can depend on several factors, including:
- The strength of the sun: If the sun is weaker (for example, during winter or in bad weather), it will take longer to charge the solar light. Reduced sunlight means that the solar panels are not receiving as much light energy to convert into electrical energy. This means that it will take longer to charge the battery, as there is less energy available to do so. Additionally, if the battery is already weakened from previous use, it will take even longer to charge.
- The type of solar panel: Some solar panels are more efficient than others and will charge the battery faster. Different types of solar panels have different levels of efficiency in how they convert sunlight into electrical energy. More efficient solar panels will charge a solar light battery faster than less efficient ones.
- The size of the battery: A larger battery will take longer to charge than a smaller one. This is due to the fact that it takes more electrical energy to charge a larger battery than it does to charge a smaller one. Therefore, if you have a large solar light battery, it will take longer to charge than if you have a small solar light battery.
In general, it is best to keep solar lights turned on so that they can continually receive sunlight and stay charged.
However, if you need to store them for an extended period of time, the best thing to do is turn them off before putting them away.
Leaving them turned on can reduce the lifespan of the battery.
Do Solar Lights Work In Shady Areas?
In general, solar lights will still work in shady areas, but they won’t be as effective as they would be in direct sunlight.
This is because the solar panel needs to be in direct sunlight in order to charge the battery.
If the solar panel is in a shady area, it won’t receive as much sunlight and therefore won’t be able to charge the battery as effectively.
The light will still work, but it may not last as long or be as bright as it would be if it were in direct sunlight.
If your yard is primarily shady, however, there are solar lights that are specifically designed to work in shady areas.
These solar lights have a higher output and can charge the battery more effectively in shady areas.
Just be sure to look for ones that are specifically designed for that purpose.
Is There Another Way To Charge Solar Lights?
If you’re using solar lights in an area that doesn’t get a lot of sun, you may be wondering how to keep them charged.
Here are a few ways to make sure your solar lights stay bright, even in winter or on cloudy days:
1. Charge them with an artificial light source: If your solar lights don’t seem to be charging well, try boosting the charge with an artificial light source, like a lamp or flashlight.
I get it, this seems like a strange thing to do, but the photo cells will charge from any kind of light, so using an LED light or regular incandescent bulb can boost the charge.
This light source will have to stay near / next to the solar panel for a few hours, though.
2. Try an alternate power source: some solar lights are capable of being plugged into a USB connection. If yours are like that, you can use your home’s electricity to boost the charge.
3. Keep them clean: One of the main reasons solar lights don’t work well is because the solar panel is dirty. The photo cells need direct sunlight to work properly, so if there’s snow, dirt or debris blocking the sunlight, the lights won’t charge as well.
Regularly cleaning the solar panel gently with a clean, damp microfiber cloth will help keep them working optimally.
4. Check for obstructions and reposition the charging panel: Another reason why solar lights might not be working is because there are objects blocking the solar panel.
Check to see if there’s anything casting a shadow on the panel and reposition the light if necessary.
Also, while this can help charge a solar powered security light, having the light near a porch light or streetlight can actually weaken the light’s sensitivity over time.
This makes it harder to charge and reduces the length of time the light will have power.
5. Bring them indoors to charge: If you live in an area with limited sunlight, or if it’s wintertime, you can bring your solar lights indoors to charge.
Place them near a sunny window or under a grow light and they should charge within a day or two.
How Long Do Outdoor Solar Lights Last?
As you can see, solar lights are a great way to add lighting to your home without increasing your energy costs. They are also easy to install and require little maintenance.
But how long do solar lights last?
These types of lights usually come with a warranty of 2-3 years, but many people find that they continue to work well beyond that.
With proper care and maintenance, solar lights can last for 5 years or more, but, there are some things that can affect how long your solar lights last.
For example, if you live in an area with lots of sunlight, your solar lights will likely last longer than if you live in an area with less sun.
Additionally, the quality of the batteries and solar panels can also affect how long the light lasts.
There are a few things you can do to help extend the life of your solar lights, though.
1. Make sure that you place them in an area where they will get lots of sunlight.
When solar lights are placed in a sunny area, the solar panels are able to absorb more sunlight. This helps to charge the batteries more effectively, which in turn extends the life of the solar lights. Additionally, the heat from the sun can help keep the batteries warm, which also helps to extend their life.
2. Try to clean the solar panels regularly to help them work more efficiently. This can help extend their life because it helps them to absorb sunlight more effectively, which can help charge the batteries more efficiently.
3. Be sure to check the batteries and solar panels periodically to make sure they are still in good condition.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your solar lights last as long as possible.
Best Solar Powered Security Lights
Here are our picks for the best options in solar powered outdoor security lights on the market right now.
Baxia Technology Outdoor Solar Motion Sensor Security Light
If you’re looking for an extremely efficient and durable solar security light, the is a great option. Its high-efficiency lighting, waterproofing, and heat resistance make it ideal for seniors or older adults who want a reliable security light that will last.
Plus, the motion detector ensures that the bright 2,000 lumens light is used in the most efficient way possible. It has a motion detection range of 10 – 16 feet and a detection angle of 125°.
It’s waterproof and shines 8 – 12 hours, following 6 – 8 hours of charging time in sufficient sunlight.
Solar Lights Outdoor Motion Sensor, 1400-Lumen LED Spotlight 9-Watt(130W Equiv.)
DrawGreen lights shine at a bright and steady 1400 Lumens (this is the equivalent of 110W of light).
Plus, these bulbs are known to last around 50,000 hours, so your costs stay low while getting top-quality performance in return.
The motion sensor can detect movement up to 20-26ft. away. The sensor has a range of 120°. The light turns on the light for 20 seconds and shines a distance of 45 – 60 feet.
It takes 5 – 6 hours to fully charge on a sunny day and the charge can last for up to 3 days in low-light charging conditions (rain or cloudy weather).
This one comes with a 60-week, 100 percent free replacement guarantee or your money back.
URPOWER Solar Flood Lights
The URPOWER’s lights are not quite as efficient or powerful as the Baxia or DrawGreen lights, but they offer an affordable and easy-to install product that can compete with some of the best solar light brands.
This one has 226 LEDs and adjustable 3-head flood lights. The rotatable solar motion sensor security lights provide 270° wide coverage and will stay on for 30 seconds at a time (up to 350 times a night with a full charge).
The URPOWER is equipped with a 2200 mAh high capacity battery and shines a light up to 26 feet within a 120-degree angle.
LECLSTAR Solar Lights
These outdoor solar security lights are equipped with 268 super bright LED beads that provide up to 1800 lumens of light.
They are super easy to mount outside – only requiring two screws and a sticky pad to put them up (included).
They are water, heat, and frost resistant. The motion sensor can detect up to 120 degrees with a longer sensor length of 26 feet.
If you’re looking for a way to reduce your carbon footprint and improve the security of your home, solar powered security lights are a great option.
These lights are powered by the sun, so they don’t require any electricity from the grid. They’re also very reliable, since they don’t rely on batteries that can run out of power. And, of course, they’re environmentally friendly.
Solar powered security lights also have some great practical benefits. They’re very easy to install, and they can provide a great deal of light without using a lot of energy.
So if you’re looking for a way to save money and help the environment, solar powered security lights are definitely worth considering.
This article has affiliate or sponsored links. If you buy something through those links we may earn a small commission. This won’t cost you extra. We only recommend things we really think are good, not just to make money. For more details, see our Affiliate Disclaimer.