Make your senior parents and the older adults on your Christmas list feel loved this holiday season with gifts under the Christmas tree that are both useful and meaningful.
For senior citizens who love doing DIY projects or spending time tinkering around the house, a great gift could be any tool or gadget that can make their lives easier or help them with their craft projects.
A great way to make a senior crafter feel appreciated during the holiday season is to give them a wonderful gift related to their hobby. Whether it’s tools, supplies, or accessories, there is no shortage of Christmas gift ideas tailored specifically for those with an affinity for crafting.
The list of projects that these tools can help with include…
- making your own Christmas ornaments (a fun activity for everyone)
- building a wooden birdhouse or photo frames
- putting up shelves in your living space
- working on your car’s engine (a great activity for some folks)
- or just creating a fun craft project for a loved one (has a personal touch)
- and much, much more
Whether the project is woodworking or some easy crafts, your elderly family members will surely put their new tools to good use!
Consider Some Of These 13 Holiday Gifts For Senior Crafters
This list of tools for senior do-it-yourselfers is designed to make life easier for the elderly, but it can also be used as a comprehensive set of tools by those who are new to crafting.
1. Cordless Drill
A cordless drill is a great idea for any serious DIYer. Look for one with multiple speeds and reversible settings, so it can be used for numerous tasks. It should also have a long battery life and come with extra bits and pieces to make handling different types of jobs easier.
Prices range from $50-200 depending on the brand and features.
2. Drawer Parts Cabinets
If your senior crafter or do-it-yourselfer uses a mason jar organization system filled with nails, screws, bolts, etc. then a very thoughtful gift could be a cabinet to help him or her organize their products.
These are great for organizing small parts such as nuts, bolts, screws, and nails. The cabinets come in a range of sizes to suit different storage needs. Look for steel drawer parts cabinets that will serve you for years. Prices start from around $30.
3. Tool Kit
A basic tool kit for a senior handyman should include essential tools such as a screwdriver set, hammer, pliers, wrench set, and saws. You can also buy specialized kits for tasks like car repair or home renovation projects.
Prices vary depending on the quality of tools included in the kit. Expect to spend at least $50 for a decent set of tools.
4. Laser Level
This handy device is great for senior DIYers who need to make sure their walls and ceilings are level when hanging paintings or putting up shelves. Laser levels are usually priced at around $30.
The price can go up to more than $100 for the higher-end models.
5. 3D Printer
More and more seniors are getting into 3D printing as a hobby. It’s an interesting way to create complex designs for things like jewelry, ornaments, and other decorative items.
You’ll be amazed at the finished product that these 3D printers can create!
Prices for 3D printers range from $200-$1000, depending on the features you want.
6. Quality Work Gloves
Senior DIYers often forget to invest in a good pair of work gloves. Quality gloves are vital for protecting your hands while working with sharp tools and materials. Make sure to find a pair that fit the DIYer in your life just right.
Prices start at about $10 for basic gloves, but you can find more advanced models for up to $50 or more.
7. Safety Glasses
Safety glasses should be part of every DIYer’s toolkit, and Christmas is an ace time to get them a nice pair.
Choose from a wide range of glasses styles and colors, ranging in price from about $10 for basic glasses to more advanced models for up to $50 or more.
8. Carpenter’s Apron
Protect your DIYer’s clothing with a carpenter’s apron. Not only are these aprons functional, but they also look nice, making them the perfect Christmas gift for seniors who love DIY-ing.
Prices start from around $25-$50, depending on the material and features you want.
9. Craftsman Subscription Box
Subscription boxes are a popular Christmas gift for seniors. For the DIYer in your life, consider getting them a Craftsman subscription box. Each month, they’ll receive an exciting new project to construct, along with all the materials and instructions needed to do so.
Prices vary depending on the length of the subscription (1 month to 12 months).
10. Tool Belt
A tool belt is one of those Christmas gifts that few people think about buying, but it’s incredibly useful for any senior handyman. If you want to get something practical yet meaningful this Christmas, look no further than a tool belt.
Prices range from $25-$50, depending on size and quality.
11. Electric Drill
One of the best gifts you can give to a senior crafter is an electric drill. This tool can help complete a variety of crafting projects with ease, whether they involve woodworking or any other type of construction.
An electric drill is also incredibly versatile and can be used to drive screws, drill holes, sand surfaces, and more. With its power and convenience, an electric drill is sure to be a hit with any senior who loves to craft. It also makes for a great gift that will last for years to come!
Prices generally range from $60 – $80, depending on the size and quality.
12. Cordless Screwdriver
For smaller projects, a cordless screwdriver may be all you need. This tool can drive or remove small screws and is an invaluable assistance for anyone who routinely works with small items.
The main advantage of the cordless screwdriver is its portability; most models can fit in your pocket and require no power source.
Prices can range anywhere from $15 – $40, depending on the size, features and quality.
13. Paper Craft Materials
Making your own Christmas cards is a great way to show someone you care. Many seniors enjoy the process of designing and creating custom cards for their loved ones and friends.
Of course, paper flowers are also a great thing that your senior loved ones can do all year long. There are often many new ways to use paper to for creative activities.
Gifting a senior crafter with materials such as cardstock, stickers, stamps and ink will be appreciated and put to good use during the holiday season.
What to Look for When Choosing a Christmas Gift for Senior Crafters
When buying Christmas gifts for seniors who love DIY, there are a few things to consider.
First of all, think about their interests and hobbies. If they’re into woodworking, then you should look for tools or materials related to that activity.
Think about the item’s size and weight of the Christmas gift. You don’t want something too heavy that your senior will have trouble carrying around.
Make sure your gift idea fits within your budget. Christmas gifts don’t need to be expensive but should still show how much you care.
What Is A Good Hobby For Elderly Adults?
The answer to this question certainly depends on the interests of the person PLUS the capabilities of the person. After all, a senior adult may have a passion for something like gardening, but if they have mobility issues, then it may not be an ideal hobby.
If they have problems with motor skills then crafts like painting and quilting might be more suitable. If they’re still able to get out and about, then maybe fishing or bird watching may be a good fit.
So keeping that in mind, here is a list of 9 potential hobbies you can suggest to your elderly friends and family:
1. Knitting – with some patience and practice, knitting can become a relaxing pastime for seniors! They can make beautiful hats, scarves, and blankets to give as gifts or even sell for a bit of extra cash.
2. Gardening – even if your elderly family member has limited mobility, you can still encourage them to take on gardening as a hobby! Planting flowers in raised beds or building a container garden is an activity that can be done from a chair or wheelchair.
3. Bird Watching – bird watching is a hobby that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and abilities. Get your elderly family member a pair of binoculars, set them up in an area with lots of birds, and let them observe the nature around them!
4. Reading – books can be a wonderful way to pass the time. Encourage your elderly family member to pick up a book that interests them and get lost in its pages!
5. Photography – photography is another great hobby for elderly adults, as it allows them to capture memories of friends, family, and their favorite places. Taking pictures is an engaging activity that allows your loved one to express their creativity.
6. Crafting – for elderly adults who are looking for an indoor activity, crafting is a great option! Whether the craft activity includes knitting, crocheting, jewelry-making, or painting, there are plenty of craft hobbies that your loved one can enjoy.
*Note: Just ensure that if the senior person is suffering from dementia or Alzheimer’s disease that you select simple crafts for them to work on.
7. Collecting – collecting coins, stamps or antiques is another popular hobby among seniors. This hobby can give them a great sense of purpose and accomplishment, as they search for unique items to add to their collection.
8. Cooking – cooking is an enjoyable activity that can also be educational. Whether it’s trying out new recipes or making traditional dishes from their past, cooking is a fun way for elderly adults to pass the time and make something delicious.
9. Woodworking – woodworking provides elderly adults with an opportunity to be creative while also producing items they can use or even give away as gifts.
Woodworking can help to improve dexterity and physical strength, while also providing a sense of accomplishment when projects are finished.
10. Geneaology – seniors who have an interest in genealogy can benefit from researching their family tree. This hobby gives them the opportunity to learn more about their history and connect with relatives they may not even know.
Genealogists can collect valuable items such as old photographs, birth certificates, or letters to add to their family archives.
11. Coloring Books – my mother loved spending time with her coloring books. Coloring books are a great way for seniors to relax and express their creative side. Coloring can help them focus on their art, reduce stress, and provide therapeutic relief.
Coloring books also make perfect gifts for any occasion, including the Christmas season, and can be given away as presents to friends or family members.
These are just some ideas of hobbies that seniors could start to make the most of their free time. Any of these can help elderly adults stay active and engaged.
Whatever hobby is chosen, it’s important to ensure that seniors are safe and comfortable while they enjoy themselves. With this in mind, there are plenty of resources available to help seniors find the right hobby for them.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Should I Spend on a Christmas Gift for Seniors?
The amount you choose to spend on Christmas gifts for seniors is entirely up to you. It all
depends on your budget, the type of gift you’re giving, and how much they mean to you.
Ultimately, it’s more important that the Christmas gift is meaningful than its monetary value.
What Christmas Gifts Are Good for Seniors?
There are many great Christmas gifts available for seniors who love DIY activities. Some
ideas include power tools, workshop furniture, building supplies and materials, project plans,
crafting kits, and books related to their favorite hobby. If they have a particular project in
mind, then a Christmas gift certificate from a local hardware store could be an ace gift.
What Is the Best Last-Minute Christmas Gift for a Senior Handyman?
A top-notch Christmas gift for seniors who love DIY is a tool kit. You can purchase different
kits with specific tools and gadgets depending on the type of project they plan to work on.
Everything from woodworking, painting and electronics projects is available in convenient
toolsets. So that your senior DIYer can easily get started on their next project.
Finding Christmas gifts for seniors who love DIY can be quite a challenge. With some thought and research, you can find the perfect gift that will make this holiday special.
If you are searching for something unique, consider getting them a Christmas gift certificate from a local hardware store or an all-inclusive tool kit.
Show your loved ones that you appreciate their passion and skill by giving them the perfect Christmas gift this year.