Sunday, May 12th, 2024 is Mother’s Day!
Mother’s Day is a special occasion to celebrate the love, care, and sacrifices that our mothers have made for us. But, it can be difficult sometimes to come up with an activity if you happen to have an elderly mom.
This day is also especially meaningful for those who are celebrating their beloved mother figures, such as grandmothers, aunts, and godmothers. Showing gratitude to them often involves finding special activities and ways to honor them on this important day.
Family members are an important part of any celebration, and Mother’s Day is no different. To make this day extra special for an older mom, involve the entire family, or as many as you can to either be present physically or virtually via video call or other technology.
Having loved ones together can actually be the perfect gift and the best part of the day for your senior mom!
In this article I’ll give you some great ideas on how to plan a special Mother’s Day celebration for your loving mother. We’ve got ideas on activities and some of the best mother’s day gifts too.
What Are Some Fun Activities For Elderly Mothers?
As I mentioned earlier, the best gifts for many older mothers is to give them the gift of your time. So, here are some ideas that can help you to make this big day extra special:
- Make a photo book: Put together a special photo album dedicated to all the fond memories of your mother over the years! This is sure to bring back many happy moments that you can look back on together.
- Try cooking a meal together: If you have the kind of mom who loves to cook, why not make a day out of it and spend some quality time in the kitchen? She can show you her favorite recipes and teach you how to make them like she does. It can be the perfect way to spend the day.
- Bake together: Baking is an activity that can be enjoyed by all ages, so why not whip up some delicious treats with your mom? Try making cupcakes, cookies or brownies and decorate them together.
- Make a special breakfast or brunch: Start the day by preparing a delicious breakfast or brunch for your elderly mother. You can involve her in the process by asking her to help you in the kitchen or simply enjoy the food together.
- Jigsaw Puzzles: This can be an ongoing project to work on and complete a jigsaw puzzle! You may want to also glue it together and hang it up.
- Have a movie marathon: Snuggle up with your mom on the couch and pick out all her favorite movies to watch back-to-back. You can order in her favorite take-out and make the experience extra special.
- Make a craft or DIY project: Get creative and make a special craft or DIY project together. It can be as simple as making a card or as elaborate as creating a photo album.
- Make a scrapbook: Create a keepsake to cherish forever. Get out the photos, knick-knacks and mementoes, gather some pens and craft supplies, and make a scrapbook of all your favorite memories together.
- Play games: Board games, card games, or puzzles are great ways to spend quality time together and keep the mind active.
- Reading: Sharing a book or magazine can be a great way to bond and connect with each other. Sending her a subscription to one of your magazines (so you both can discuss it) can be one of the best mother’s day gifts.
- Crafting: Creating a craft project together, such as knitting or scrapbooking, can be a fun way to be creative and produce something that is enjoyable for both.
- Gardening: For those with a green thumb, gardening can be a therapeutic and enjoyable activity.
- Exercise: Engaging in low-impact exercise, such as taking a walk or doing yoga, can help keep the body and mind healthy.
- Have a picnic: Picnics are so much fun and can be tailored to any age group. Invite some family members, pack a delicious lunch, and spend the day outdoors enjoying each other’s company.
- Go on a nature walk: If you live near a park or nature reserve, going for a leisurely stroll with your family is a wonderful way to celebrate the day. Bring along binoculars and take turns spotting birds and other wildlife!
- Take her on an adventure: Does your mom have a bucket list she’s been wanting to cross off? Now’s the perfect opportunity to tackle that list! You don’t have to take a massive trip. Even a day exploring somewhere nearby can be just as thrilling.
- Take her to her favorite restaurant: There’s nothing like a delicious meal to show your appreciation. Take her out for dinner at her favorite spot or order in some takeout to enjoy at home.
No matter what activity you choose, make sure it’s something your mom enjoys and will give her an opportunity to spend quality time with you. This Mother’s Day, make it a special one for her and show how much you care.
How Do You Celebrate Mother’s Day In A Unique Way?
There are many ways to celebrate Mother’s Day in a unique way, and the best way to do so depends on the personality and preferences of your mother.
You could get her a unique gift or plan a specific event. There are lots of ideas!
Here are a few ideas that you could consider:
- Plan a spa day: Treat your mother to a relaxing day at the spa. You can book a massage, facial, or other treatments, depending on her preferences.
- Host a talent show: Host a Mother’s Day talent show where family and friends can showcase their skills and talents.
- Gift her an indoor herb garden: Your mom may not be able to get out into her garden safely anymore, so why not gift her an herb garden that is made for the indoors?
- Join a class: Take a pottery or ceramics class together.
- Maid service: It may be hard work for your mom to keep up with cleaning her home. So, help mom with her cleaning chores by gifting her a maid service.
- For moms with a sweet tooth: How about sending her a basket or box of yummy treats!
- Give to your community: Volunteer at a local charity or community event together.
- Host a wine tasting: Maybe even a or cocktail party for your senior mom and her friends.
- Professional photos: Organize a Mother’s Day photo shoot or portrait session. Every mother loves family photos.
- Host a game night: What about a board game party with your senior mom.
- Create a video message: Create a video message that tells your mother how much you love and appreciate her. This could be a simple message recorded on your phone or a more elaborate production with music and visuals.
- Visit a museum or art gallery: If your mother is interested in art or history, take her to a local museum or art gallery. It can be a great opportunity to learn something new together.
- Plan a surprise: Every mom loves to be pampered. So, surprise your mother with something unexpected, like a special breakfast in bed, or a gift that she’s been wanting for a long time.
- Create a memory book: Compile a scrapbook or memory book with her favorite photos, letters, and other memorabilia that capture special moments and memories with your mother.
- Plan a unique outing: Take your mother on an outing that she’s always wanted to do, such as a hot air balloon ride, or a tour of a local vineyard. Or go visit a special place from your childhood.
- Create a family tradition: Establish a new tradition that can be passed down through generations, such as a special recipe, or a specific activity that you do every Mother’s Day.
- Write a letter or poem: Write a heartfelt letter or poem expressing your love and gratitude for your mother, and present it to her on Mother’s Day.
- Make a donation in her name: Make a donation to a charity that your mother supports, or a cause that is meaningful to her, in her name.
- Cook a special meal: Prepare a special meal or treat for your mother, and make the dining experience memorable with candles, flowers, and special table settings.
- Create a personalized gift: Rather than buying a generic gift, create a personalized gift that your mother will love. You could make a scrapbook filled with your favorite memories together or create a custom piece of artwork that represents your relationship.
- Macaroni necklaces: If you ever made your mom a macaroni necklace, why not revisit that and give her one this year? Revisiting the macaroni necklace tradition can be a fun and nostalgic way to celebrate Mother’s Day. It can be a simple project that you do with your own children or a personal gift that you make for your own mother. You can even add your own creative touches, such as using different types of pasta or adding beads or other embellishments.
- Home project: Is there a home project she has been wanting to be completed? Maybe painting the kitchen? Fixing the bathroom toilet? Repairing the mailbox? Anything you can do to help her can be a very thoughtful gift.
Putting your own spin on Mother’s Day activities can help make the day special for your mom or senior loved one. Whether you plan something virtual, in-person, or a combination of both, there’s something that will make the celebration memorable.
Show her how much she means to you by spending some quality time together and making this Mother’s Day an unforgettable one.
What To Do For Mother’s Day In A Nursing Home?
If your mother is in a nursing home, there are still many ways to celebrate Mother’s Day and make her feel special. Here are some ideas:
- Decorate her room: Bring some festive decorations and decorate your mother’s room to create a cheerful and celebratory atmosphere.
- Send a care package: Send a care package filled with your mother’s favorite things and treats, such as chocolates, cookies, or snacks. You could also include some magazines, puzzles, some lip balm or other items that she enjoys.
- Basket of tea: Does your mom like tea? Well, why not send her a basket of tea and then join her once a week for a cup of tea and maybe a scone or two?
- Magazine Subscription: If your mother can still enjoy reading and perusing through her favorite magazine, then why not provide her with a monthly subscription?
- Make a video call: Schedule a video call with your mother on Mother’s Day so you can talk and see each other face-to-face. You could also invite other family members or friends to join the call to make it a special occasion.
- Pajama sets: When you don’t necessarily have anyplace to go, it’s always nice to just hang out in a really nice set of pajamas!
- Send flowers: Send your mother a bouquet of her favorite flowers or a potted plant that will brighten up her room and remind her of your love. Remember to add a lovely message as well.
- Plan an activity: If the nursing home allows it, plan an activity that your mother will enjoy. This could be a simple walk in the garden or a game of cards with family members or other residents.
- Create a memory book: Create a memory book filled with photos and memories of your mother’s life. This will not only be a special gift but will also provide a source of comfort and joy for your mother to look through whenever she wants.
- Plan a virtual movie night: Schedule a virtual movie night with your mother and watch her favorite film together over video call.
- Bring in a favorite meal: Find out your mother’s favorite dish and bring it to the nursing home for her to enjoy on Mother’s Day.
- Basket of coloring books and pens: My own mom loved her adult coloring books and gifting this to your mom and spending time with her doing them with her can be a very wonderful way to create memories.
- Organize a virtual game night: Plan a virtual game night with your mother and other family members or friends. You can play games like bingo, trivia, or charades over video call.
- Create a personalized photo album: Make a photo album of your favorite memories with your mother and give it to her as a gift.
- Arrange for a musician to perform: Hire a local musician to perform for your mother and other residents of the nursing home. This will add a special touch to the celebration.
- Make homemade gifts: Get creative and make homemade gifts for your mother, such as a knitted scarf or a painted canvas.
- Schedule a virtual tour: Take your mother on a virtual tour of a museum, zoo, or other attraction that she has always wanted to visit.
- Bring in a massage therapist: Arrange for a massage therapist to give your mother a relaxing massage or other spa treatment.
- Send a heartfelt letter: Write a heartfelt letter to your mother expressing your love and gratitude. This will be a meaningful gift that she can keep and read over and over again.
- Create a memory jar: Fill a jar with small notes or tokens that remind your mother of happy memories. You can include things like photos, ticket stubs, or other keepsakes. This will be a special and personalized gift that your mother can treasure.
What Are Some Mother’s Day Traditions?
The most important thing is to let your mother know how much you love and appreciate her. Even if you cannot be together physically, there are still many ways to celebrate Mother’s Day and make her feel special.
Mother’s Day is celebrated in different ways around the world, and there are many traditions associated with this special day. Here are some common Mother’s Day traditions:
- Giving flowers: It is common to give mothers flowers, especially roses, as a symbol of love and appreciation. The colors of the flowers often have special meanings; for example, pink roses represent gratitude, while yellow roses represent friendship.
- Sending cards: Many people send Mother’s Day cards to express their love and appreciation for their mothers. These cards often feature sentimental messages and heartfelt words of appreciation.
- Family gatherings: Mother’s Day is often celebrated with family gatherings, where mothers are honored with special meals, gifts, and activities. This is a time for families to come together and celebrate the special bond between mothers and their children.
- Breakfast in bed: It is a tradition for children to serve their mothers breakfast in bed on Mother’s Day. This is a simple but thoughtful gesture that shows mothers how much they are loved and appreciated.
- Special gifts: Mothers are often given special gifts on Mother’s Day, such as jewelry, books, or personalized items. These gifts are a way of showing mothers how much they are valued and cherished.
- Donating to charity: Some people choose to celebrate Mother’s Day by donating to charity in their mother’s name. This is a way of honoring mothers while also helping those in need.
- Spending quality time together: Mother’s Day is a time to spend quality time together and create new memories. Many families celebrate by going on outings, taking walks, or simply enjoying each other’s company.
Show your mother how much you love and appreciate her in your own special way. Whether it’s through a traditional Mother’s Day activity or a unique gesture, the most meaningful gift you can give your mother is your love and appreciation.