In today’s digital age, smart home devices have become an integral part of our lives, offering convenience, efficiency, and enhanced security. Among these devices, the Amazon Echo and its voice assistant, Alexa, have gained immense popularity.
The Amazon Echo, commonly known as a smart speaker, is an incredible device that can do so much more than just play music. Alexa’s voice assistant and its ability to access a wide range of skills make it a powerful tool that can help you with any task, from providing home security to announcing severe weather alerts.
With Alexa’s intruder alert Skill, you can take your home security system to the next level. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the process of setting up the Alexa Intruder Alert Skill, enabling you to protect your home and loved ones with ease.
I personally think it’s a very good idea to install a home security system in addition to using Alexa. The idea is to add an extra layer of security in case one fails, making it harder for intruders to gain access.
Check out 13 great Alexa products for your home!
What is the Alexa Intruder Alert Skill?
One of the best things that I believe Alexa offers are the ever growing list of amazing features and skills that they provide. One of them being the intruder alert skill.
The Alexa Intruder Alert Skill is a powerful feature that transforms your Amazon Echo device into a smart security device. By utilizing its voice command capabilities, the Alexa Intruder Alert Skill allows you to create customized routines to protect your home from potential intruders.
With the ability to integrate with various devices such as smart lights, security cameras, and even a fog machine, the Alexa Intruder Alert Skill provides a comprehensive and cost-effective solution to enhance your home security system.
What is the Difference Between Alexa Intruder Skill and Alexa Guard?
The Alexa Intruder Alert Skill and Alexa Guard mode are two distinct features offered by Amazon for enhancing the security capabilities of your Alexa-enabled devices.
One is an add on and the other is a built-in Alexa security option. Both have their own unique benefits and are worth exploring.
Alexa Intruder Alert Skill:
- The Alexa Intruder Alert Skill is a third-party skill that you can enable on your Alexa device through the Alexa app.
- It allows you to create customized routines that are triggered by specific events, such as detecting motion or the sound of breaking glass.
- You have the flexibility to choose the actions you want to take when an intrusion is detected, such as activating smart lights, sounding alarms, or initiating phone calls.
- The skill offers integration with various smart home devices, allowing you to create a comprehensive and personalized intruder alert system.
- The Alexa Intruder Alert Skill provides you with greater control and customization over your home security setup.
- Alexa Guard is a built-in security option available on select Alexa-enabled devices, such as Amazon Echo speakers and Echo Show.
- It offers a range of security capabilities, including Smart Alerts, Away Lighting, and the ability to integrate with professionally monitored security systems.
- Smart Alerts: When you enable Guard, your Alexa device listens for specific sounds, such as smoke alarms, co alarms (carbon monoxide), or glass breaking, and sends alerts to your smartphone or other connected devices.
- Away Lighting: Alexa Guard can simulate occupancy in your home by turning compatible smart lights on and off at different times, giving the impression that someone is present.
- Professional Monitoring: With the Guard Plus subscription (a paid option), you can connect Guard to a professional monitoring service that can contact emergency services on your behalf.
In summary, the Alexa Intruder Alert Skill offers customization and integration with various devices, giving you control over the actions taken during an intrusion.
On the other hand, Alexa Guard is a built-in feature that provides Smart Alerts, Away Lighting, and the option for professional monitoring.
Both options offer valuable security features, but the choice depends on your specific needs and the devices you have available.
How to Enable the Alexa Intruder Alert Skill
Enabling the Alexa Intruder Alert Skill is a simple process that can be done through the Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you get started:
- Open the Alexa app: Launch the Alexa app on your device.
- Go to the smart home section: Tap on the “Devices” tab at the bottom of the screen, then select “All Devices.”
- Add a new device: In the upper right corner, click the “+” button to add a new device.
- Choose the device type: Select the device type that you want to use for the Alexa Intruder Alert Skill, such as smart lamp or smart speakers.
- Follow the prompts: The Alexa app will guide you through the process of adding and setting up your chosen device.
- Enable the Alexa Intruder Alert Skill: Once your device is set up, go to the “Skills & Games” section in the Alexa app and search for “Alexa Intruder Alert Skill.” Click on it and follow the instructions to enable the skill.
How to Test Your Alexa Intruder Alert Routine
Before we dive into creating an Alexa routine for the intruder alert skill, it’s crucial to ensure that the skill is working correctly. Testing your Alexa intruder alert routine will give you peace of mind and confidence in its functionality.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Activate Alexa’s guard mode: Say “Alexa, I’m leaving” or “Alexa, activate guard mode” to put your Alexa device in a watchful state.
- Simulate an intruder: Create a scenario where an intruder might trigger your intruder alert routine. For example, you can tap on a window to mimic glass breaking or walk past a motion sensor.
- Observe Alexa’s responses: If the skill is working properly, Alexa should respond according to your intruder alert routine. This could include activating smart lights, sounding an alarm, or even initiating a phone call to emergency services.
How to Create an Alexa Intruder Alert Routine
Creating an Alexa intruder alert routine is a straightforward process that allows you to customize the actions taken when an intrusion is detected.
Follow these steps to create your own Alexa intruder alert routine:
- Open the Alexa app: Launch the Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Go to routines: Tap on the “More” tab at the bottom-right corner of the screen, then select “Routines.”
- Create a new routine: Click on the “+” button to create a new routine.
- Name your routine: Give your routine a name that is easy to remember and reflects its purpose, such as “Intruder Alert Routine.”
- Add triggers: Select the trigger that will activate your intruder alert routine. This could be a specific voice command, a motion sensor detecting movement, or a glass break sound.
- Choose actions: In the “Add action” section, you can select from a variety of actions to be taken when the intruder alert routine is triggered. Here are some recommended actions:
- Activate smart lights: Set your smart lights to turn on in a particular color or flash mode to create a sense of urgency and potentially scare off the intruder.
- Sound an alarm: If you have an alarm system connected to your smart home devices, you can trigger the alarm to sound loudly, alerting both you and the potential intruder that their presence has been detected.
- Initiate a phone call: With the Alexa app’s calling feature, you can set up a routine to automatically call emergency services or a trusted contact to report the intrusion.
- Play loud music: Start playing loud, attention-grabbing music through your Alexa speaker to disorient and deter the intruder.
- Send urgent notifications: Utilize the Alexa app to send immediate notifications to your smartphone or other connected devices, keeping you informed of the intrusion in real-time.
Then continue with these steps:
- Fine-tune your routine: Adjust the order and timing of the actions to ensure that they are executed in the most effective sequence. For example, you may want the lights to turn on first, followed by the alarm system and the phone call.
- Save your routine: Once you are satisfied with the configuration of your intruder alert routine, click “Save” to store it in your Alexa app.
Remember, you can customize your intruder alert routine further by incorporating other compatible smart home devices and actions that suit your specific needs.
Experiment with different combinations and test your routine to ensure that it functions as intended. Regularly review and update your routine as needed to adapt to changing circumstances or preferences.
Creating an Alexa intruder alert routine empowers you to take proactive measures in protecting your home and loved ones. With the right configuration, you can create a robust and effective security system that leverages the capabilities of your Alexa-enabled devices.