If you’re like most people, you probably start to feel a little more sluggish as you get older. That’s totally normal! But that doesn’t mean you have to give up on your fitness goals. There are plenty of ways to stay active and healthy, even as you age.
One great option is taking an online exercise class designed specifically for seniors. These online workouts can help you stay fit and healthy, without having to leave the comfort of your own home.
Not sure where to start? Here are 10 of the best online exercise classes for seniors:
- SilverSneakers FLEX by Tivity Health (free) (offers live classes)
- AARP Live Fit Forever (cost)
- Firebush (free)
- More Life Health Seniors (free)
- Senior Planet (free)
- Down Dog (cost) (offers live classes)
- Pilates Anytime (cost) (free trial for 15 days)
- Yoga Download (cost)
- DoYogaWithMe (cost)
- Gaia (cost)
These online classes are a great way to stay fit and healthy as you age. They offer some of the best exercises for older adults.
You just need to identify your skill level (a trainer or physical therapist can help.) Just remember that the best form of exercise is one that you can do on a regular basis.
Note: Before you begin ANY exercise program, please be sure to check with your doctor first. This is especially important if you have any health concerns or conditions. Once you have the all-clear from your physician, then you can start enjoying the many benefits that exercise has to offer!
Whether you are seeking weight loss or more energy, home workouts can help you to achieve your fitness goals.
Benefits Of Home Workouts
There are many benefits to working out at home, including saving time and money. Plus, you can customize your home workouts to fit your own fitness level and goals.
Some of the most popular benefits of home workouts include:
- You can save time by not having to travel to a gym or fitness class.
- You can save money on membership fees or class charges at health clubs.
- You can design your own workout routine, so it’s tailored specifically for your fitness level and goals.
- You can work out any time of day or night that’s convenient for you.
- You can control the environment, so it’s comfortable and distraction-free.
- You can get some fresh air and sunshine by working out outdoors.
- You can bond with your family or friends by working out together.
- You can boost your mood and relieve stress with a great workout.
- You can increase your energy and stamina with regular exercise.
- You can improve your overall health and fitness with a comprehensive home workout routine.
If you’re looking for a convenient, affordable, and effective way to get in shape, consider working out at home.
With a little creativity and some basic equipment, you can create a workout routine that fits physical capabilities, your lifestyle and your budget. So what are you waiting for?
Get moving and start reaping the benefits of home workouts today!
Free Online Senior Exercise Classes
You may be wondering if you can get online exercises classes for free. The answer is yes!
Here are a few ways to find them.
1. Check with your local gym or community center. Many of these facilities offer free or discounted memberships for seniors. Some even have special programs specifically designed for older adults.
I know that my park’s community center has free exercise classes for seniors as well as many other free activities.
2. Look for online videos or streaming services that offer exercise classes. There are a number of these available, and many of them are free.
The Youtube channel is a great resource for this. Here are some that I saw on makeuseof.com:
- More Life Health Seniors
- Improved Health
- SeniorShape Fitness
- Walk at Home
- SeniorFitness with Meredith
3. Check out websites that offer free online fitness programs. Many of these programs are specifically designed for seniors.
Here are some that I found:
4. Finally, there are a number of apps that offer exercises classes for seniors. Some of these are free, while others charge a small fee.
- YogaStudio (available on Apple and Android)
- Johnson & Johnson app (available on Apple and Android)
- 7-Minute Chi (available on Apple and Android)
5. Workout videos are yet another option. Years ago they were on VHS tapes but today you can find many on DVD. Check out the ones I found here.
No matter which option you choose, there are a number of great ways to get started with Exercise for Seniors. So get your heart rate up by moving and of course, stay healthy!
Again, check with your physician first before beginning any exercise program!
What Exercise Equipment Might You Need?
It’s always a good idea to have the right equipment to help you perform the exercises you want to do. Here are some things you may need:
- Resistance Bands – These are great for doing a variety of exercises, like arm curls and leg lifts. They come in different levels of resistance, so you can find the right one for you.
- Dumbbells – are good for working out your arms, shoulders, and chest. Again, they come in different weights, so you can find the right ones for you.
- Ankle Weights – These can be worn around your ankles while you jog or walk to add some extra resistance.
- Yoga Mat – This is great for doing floor exercises, like sit-ups and crunches and of course, Yoga and Pilates.
- Inmotion Elliptical – This is a mini elliptical that you can use at home. It’s great for getting in a cardio workout and it’s low impact, so it’s easy on your joints. Very good for a lower body workout.
- Exercise Ball – This is also great for floor exercises. You can use it for sit-ups, crunches, and Pilates.
Depending on your fitness level and physical capabilities, you can also use some of the larger pieces of equipment such as…
- Treadmill – This is a great way to get in some cardio, especially if you live in an area where it’s difficult to go for a run or walk outside.
- Stationary Bike – This is another great piece of equipment for getting in some cardio. It’s also a good low-impact workout, so it’s easy on your joints
- Recumbent Bike / Rower – This is a combo type of equipment if you’re looking for a workout that is both challenging and low impact. This can give you a full-body workout.
What Is The Best Exercise Program For Seniors?
When it comes to finding the best exercise program for seniors, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First and foremost, you want to make sure that the program is safe and effective. Secondly, you’ll want to find a program that is tailored specifically for seniors.
Again, before you begin any exercise program , it’s always a good idea to check with your doctor first. Once you’ve got the go-ahead, there are a few different ways to get started.
One option is to join a local gym or fitness center. This is a great way to meet other seniors who are interested in staying active and healthy. Most gyms offer a variety of different exercise classes, so you’ll be able to find one that’s right for your fitness level.
Another option is to participate in a senior fitness program offered by your community center or local park district. These programs are usually designed for seniors, so they’ll be a good fit for your needs.
Online videos and instruction provided by certified fitness experts can help you learn how to do strength training exercises with proper form and technique, so you work the muscles correctly and avoid injury.healthyliving.azcentral.com
Finally, you can always start your own fitness program at home. There are plenty of different exercises you can do right in your living room, such as walking, jogging in place, or doing some calisthenics.
You don’t have to become a fitness fanatic overnight. Just start off slowly and gradually increase the intensity of your workouts as you get more comfortable.
If you stick with it, you’ll be surprised at how quickly you can get in shape after being sedentary for so long.
Here are some more great options to get you started:
- Chair exercises: These are perfect for seniors who may have mobility issues. There are a number of chair exercises that can be done from the comfort of your own home.
- Tai chi: This ancient Chinese practice is perfect for seniors who want to improve their balance and flexibility.
- Walking: Walking is a great way to get some low-impact cardio in. It’s also a great way to explore your neighborhood and get some fresh air.
- Yoga: Yoga is another great option for seniors who want to improve their flexibility and strength.
- Strength training: Strength training is important for seniors, as it can help to prevent falls and fractures.
If you’re not sure which exercise program is right for you, talk to your doctor or a certified fitness professional. They can help you create a plan that’s tailored to your individual needs and abilities.
What Are The Four Main Types Of Exercise That Seniors Need To Stay Healthy?
As we age, it becomes increasingly important to stay active and engaged in physical activity to maintain our overall health and well-being.
While there are many different types of exercise that can be beneficial for seniors, there are four main types that are considered to be essential for maintaining a healthy lifestyle:
1. Aerobic Exercise: This type of exercise is important for improving cardiovascular health and helping to maintain a healthy weight. Examples of aerobic exercise include walking, swimming, and cycling.
2. Strength Training: Strength-training exercise can help to improve bone density and muscle mass, which can help to reduce the risk of falls and fractures. Seniors should aim to do strength-training exercises at least two times per week.
3. Balance Training: Balance training is important for improving balance and coordination, which can help to reduce the risk of falls. Balance-training exercises can be done using a stability ball, a Bosu ball, or by simply standing on one leg.
4. Flexibility: Flexibility exercises help to increase range of motion and can help to reduce the risk of injuries. Seniors should aim to do flexibility exercises at least three times per week.
Another one that I would like to add to this list is…
5. Core Exercises: Core exercises help to improve posture, balance, and stability. They can also help to prevent injuries by strengthening the muscles around the spine. Core exercises can be done using a stability ball, a Bosu ball, or Pilates.
Consult with a doctor or physical therapist before starting any new exercise routine. They can help develop an appropriate plan based on your individual needs and abilities.
Is Jogging Good For You As You Get Older?
There are many out there who would say that jogging is very good for anyone, including seniors. But I humbly disagree. No matter how “lightly” you may think you are jogging, you are still putting a lot of stress and strain on your joints and muscles.
Now, if you have been jogging for decades, perhaps it’s still a good idea to continue. But introducing a high impact activity at an older age when you have not done that for many years is simply not worth the risk of injury.
I would recommend to work with a professional personal trainer who has experience in working with seniors if you want to add jogging to your exercise routine.
Does Netflix Have Exercise Videos For Seniors?
The short answer is NO. I tried finding some on my Netflix account but I could not. What I did find were documentaries and videos ABOUT health and nutrition.
These videos are not laid out as “classes”. And they are definitely not tailored for older adults.
So, you can learn a lot about these topics from videos on Netflix but don’t expect an ongoing exercise class.
Do Any Streaming Services Have Exercise Videos?
Yes, a few streaming services offer exercise videos. You probably haven’t heard of them so here’s a list of some:
- Daily Burn
- Complete Body Flow with Koya Webb (on Amazon Prime)
- Full Body Every Day Workouts (on Amazon Prime)
How Do I Start Exercising After Years Of Inactivity?
This is a great question and one that I get asked a lot. It can be tough to start exercising after years of being inactive, but it’s definitely possible.
Here are a few tips to help you get started:
1. Talk to your doctor first. This is especially important if you have any health concerns or conditions that could be affected by exercise.
2. Use a professional personal trainer or a physical therapist. This is the best way to ensure that you do not injure yourself. These pros can create a custom training plan for you to help you target specific muscle groups and much more.
3. Start slow and build up gradually. If you try to do too much too soon, you’re likely to get injured, discouraged and give up. Don’t start with high-intensity workouts; begin with basic movements and progress from there.
4. Choose activities that you enjoy. This will make it more likely that you’ll stick with it in the long run.
5. Set realistic goals. If you set your sights too high, you’re likely to get frustrated and give up.
6. Get a workout partner. Having someone to exercise with can help you stay motivated and on track.
Following these tips should help you be successful in starting an exercise routine after years of being inactive. Just remember to take it one step at a time and to have patience. Soon enough, you’ll be on your way to a healthier, more active lifestyle!
How Long Does It Take To Get In Shape After Being Sedentary?
This is a question that does not have a simple answer as it depends on a multitude of factors, including your age, weight, fitness level, and how long you have been sedentary.
However, there are some general guidelines you can follow to help you get back into shape after a period of inactivity.
Make a long-term commitment to your program for improved health. It might take up to six weeks to get useful results.exercisemedicine.org
If you are starting from a sedentary lifestyle, it is important to ease into things gradually in order to avoid injuries.
Start with some basic aerobic exercises like walking or riding a stationary bike for 20-30 minutes per day, 3-5 times per week.
As you become more accustomed to exercise, you can start adding in strength training and other activities.
The key is to be consistent with your workouts and to listen to your body. If you start to feel pain or discomfort, take a break or scale back your activity level. With time and patience, you will be back in shape in no time!
All of these online services mentioned above can help you to be healthier as you age.
Exercise is important for people of all ages, but it becomes even more important as we get older. That’s because regular exercise can help to prevent age-related diseases such as heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. It can also help to keep our bones strong and our minds sharp.
And if you can do your exercises at home, that may be even better depending on your situation. So, try any one of these online exercises classes!