Alexa smart speakers are becoming increasingly popular as people look for ways to have a more hands-free and convenient life. These devices can be used to play music, set alarms, check the weather, and even control other smart devices in your home.
The Echo Show models are smart displays that do everything all Alexa devices do plus they have a screen, like a computer tablet.
There are so many wonderful things that Amazon’s Alexa devices can do and it just seems that I keep learning about a new feature all the time. I just learned that you can do a 3-way call on an Amazon Echo Show.
This ability to make group video calls can be a wonderful way for families to keep in touch with each other.
Here’s how you can do it!
Step One: Create an Alexa Calling Group
- Open the Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone.
- Tap on the Communicate icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap on the Contact icon at the top right of the screen.
- Tap on Add New.
- Tap on Add Group.
- Top on Enable (if you haven’t yet enabled this skill)
- You should now see a list of your contacts – select the ones you wish to be in your group.
- When you are finished with your selections, tap on Continue.
- Type in a group name.
- Tap on Create Group.
Step Two: Make the Call
- Go to your Echo Show Device and swipe downwards on the screen.
- Tap on Communicate.
- Tap on Call.
- Scroll down to your Groups and select the group you want to call.
You can also use this feature to make conference calls with up to 7 people by adding more people to the call using the same method described above. 3-way calling with Echo Show is the easiest way to stay connected with friends and family, especially if you’re all spread out geographically.
Voice calls are an important part of communication, especially when you are an older adult or caregiving for a senior family member. Without the ability to see each other’s faces, it can be difficult to communicate effectively.
That’s why voice calls are so important – they help bridge the gap and ensure that everyone is on the same page. Whether you’re calling your doctor, a family member, or a friend, voice calls are a vital part of staying connected.
So, yes you can set up a zoom meeting, or use Facetime if everyone has an Apple device but with an Echo Show, you can make a voice call to almost anyone, regardless of what type of device they have.
Give it a try next time you need to want to do a video chat with your family members or a group of friends. Remember, you can use any Alexa device to make a phone call. An echo dot, echo spot, as well as any amazon echo device.
Does It Cost Money To Make Phone Calls On Alexa?
No, audio calls (phone calls) from an Alexa device to another Alexa device or to a mobile phone number or to a landline are free.
While Echo-to-phone calling is convenient and easy, it’s not limitless. Emergency services numbers (such as 911), premium-rate numbers or toll numbers (such as 1-900 numbers) and most international numbers except for the US, UK, Canada and Mexico cannot be called through Echo devices.cnet.com
To make a phone call using your Echo Show, just say “Alexa, call (person’s name).” Alexa will then ask you to confirm the number she should call. Once you confirm the number, Alexa will place the call. You can also say “Alexa, call (business name)” and Alexa will call the business for you.
Of course, you do need to have your contact list already associated with your Amazon account. After all, Alexa has to pull up that phone number from somewhere!
How To Set Up Contact List
- If you have your contacts listed in your phone, the Alexa app should pick up that list and integrate it into Alexa – but to add more contacts…
- Open your Alexa app
- Click on Communicate icon at the bottom of the screen
- Click on the Call button at the top
- Then choose the person you want to call
And that’s it! Pretty easy to make phone calls, for free, from any Alexa device.
Can Alexa Do A 3 Way Drop In?
Yes, you can set up a three-way call with Alexa on your Echo Show.
Step One: Need Permission From Other Devices
- In order to “drop in” on another Alexa device you need to have permission from that device to do so. Here are the steps to do that.
- Open the Alexa app on your phone
- Tap on the hamburger menu in the top left corner (the 3 short horizontal lines)
- In the dropdown box tap on “Skills & Games”
- Tap on the magnifying glass on the top right of the screen
- Type in “calling and messaging” to search for this skill
- Tap on the Enable Skill button
- You will be asked to agree to their terms of service and to allow this program to access your contact list
- You then need to tap on the Communication Icon at the bottom of the Alexa app on your phone
- You then need to confirm your name, enable access to your contact list that is on your phone, verify your phone number via a text and allow Alexa to use your microphone and camera (if you haven’t already done that)
- Now tap on the profile icon at the top right of your Alexa app on your phone
- Your name should pop up with “My Profile & Settings” below it. Tap on your name.
- Enable the Allow Drop In option
- Now you are set up to receive Drop Ins. To drop in on other Alexa devices, then they need to allow permissions just as you did for your.
Step Two: Initiate The Drop In
- You simply say “Alexa, drop in everywhere.” or “Alexa, drop in on all devices.“
- Top drop in on a group simply say “Alexa, drop in on [name of the group]“.
- This will take open up all the devices that you have permission to drop in on.
Can Alexa Drop In Silently?
Nope! Whenever you initiate a Drop In, your contact will be notified that you’re starting the call. However, they have the option to decline the Drop In if they’re not available.
Once the Drop In is accepted, your contact can choose to mute their mic so you can’t hear them, but they’ll still be able to hear you.
Can You FaceTime From Echo Show?
The Facetime service is something that can be done via an Apple device. As of this time, this is not integrated with Amazon so it cannot be done through any Alexa device, including the Echo Show.
However, you can make video calls with your Echo Show. It works between two Echo Show devices or to anyone with an Alexa app on their phone.
So, your elderly mother could use her Echo Show device to video call you and that call would come through to you on your Amazon app. And of course, vice versa.
How Do You Call Between Echo Shows?
Calling anyone from your Echo Show is really very simple. More simple than you think!
Once your contact list is associated with your Amazon device (which is automatically done when you add the Amazon app to your phone), you can make a phone call or video call quickly.
Simply go to your Echo Show device and say “Alexa, call [name].” Alexa will then ask you if you want to call their home, mobile or echo show. You answer which device you want to call and it will initiate it.
How Do I Add Multiple Phone Numbers To Alexa?
If you want to add more contacts to your contact list on Alexa, it’s quite easy too.
- You do this through the Alexa app on your phone.
- Open the Alexa app.
- Tap on the Communicate icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap on the Contacts icon at the top right of the screen.
- Tap on Add New and you should get a pop up on the screen to add a single contact or a group.
- Make your selection and add your information.
Do You Need Amazon Prime To Use Echo Show Video Calling?
You do need an account with Amazon, but you don’t have be a Prime member.
Can you connect Fire tablet to Echo Show?
Yes, you can and you can use your fire tablet to make video calls as well! There are many Youtube videos on how to connect your fire tablet and use it to make audio and video calls.
If you’re looking for quality sound, you can’t go wrong with echo speakers. These bad boys deliver rich, full audio that will have your friends and family asking where you got them. And at a price that’s easy on the wallet, you’ll be able to enjoy your music without breaking the bank. So don’t wait any longer, order your echo speakers today!