Finding the perfect gift for a senior citizen can be tricky, especially on a budget. But, don’t worry! There are so many wonderful and thoughtful gifts that won’t break the bank.
Some of the most popular options include cozy blankets, funny books, and mugs, or a subscription to their favorite magazine. Personalized photo albums with memories of past adventures are also well-liked by seniors.
For active seniors who enjoy the outdoors, consider gifting them some gardening tools or a hammock for relaxing in the backyard.
And for foodies, a subscription to a gourmet food box is always a popular option. These gifts are sure to put a smile on any senior’s face without breaking the bank.
No matter your budget, our selection of inexpensive gifts for seniors offers something for everyone. Whether you want to give something practical or personal, we have it all.
From technology and books to personalized items, there’s sure to be the perfect gift for your senior loved one. So don’t wait — find something they’ll love today! Happy shopping!
Seniors love gifts that are useful, can help with their health issues, and show that you care. But if a gift can make a difficult task easy for them, well that can be so much better!
Whether you need Christmas gifts or birthday gifts or presents for other special occasions, you’ll find some great ideas in this list.
Remember, the best gifts don’t have to be the most expensive gifts. Unique gifts and even a useful gift can be the best for elderly parents and other older people on your gift list.
What Gifts Are Good For Seniors?
Gift-giving is a great way to show someone you care, especially when it’s an elderly loved one in your life. But, seniors can be difficult to buy for — they often have everything they need and don’t want!
But that doesn’t mean there aren’t still thoughtful gifts out there.
Here are a few general ideas for inexpensive gifts that seniors may enjoy:
1. Books – Older adults tend to love a good book and there’s no shortage of great titles available at your local bookstore or online. If you know their favorite authors, pick up the latest releases, or surprise them with something unexpected! Books can always be a good gift.
2. Music – Music can be a great gift for seniors. Whether they’re into jazz, classical, or pop music, there are plenty of CD compilations and even streaming services that can bring them hours of enjoyment.
3. Technology – Whether it’s a tablet, smartphone, or laptop computer, technology makes a great gift for older folks. It can help keep them to stay connected with friends and family, as well as stay up-to-date on news and current events.
4. Gift Cards – Gift cards are an ideal choice for seniors because the cards allow them to choose what they really want or need. Plus, there’s no guesswork involved in selecting the right size or color.
5. Games – Fun gifts can include board games, card games, and puzzles are a fun way to keep anyone entertained, including our aging family members. Look for low-cost options that don’t require too much setup or involve complex rules.
6. Crafts – Crafting can be an enjoyable pastime for seniors, so give them the supplies they need to get started. From knitting needles and yarn to scrapbooking materials and art supplies, you can find a variety of affordable items that will spark their creativity.
7. Movies & TV – Choose a movie or favorite TV show that your senior loved one will enjoy. Whether it’s an old classic or the latest blockbuster, you can find plenty of DVDs that won’t break the bank.
8. Puzzles – I love working on puzzles. It’s relaxing and forces me to be mindful of the moment. At the same time, it helps me to exercise my mind. It can be a great gift for the senior family members that you love. Look for a variety of puzzles at the dollar store, ranging from word searches to jigsaw pieces and more.
9. Blankets – Blankets make excellent gifts for your cherished seniors, as they provide warmth and comfort on cold nights. Choose one with a fun pattern or design that reflects your senior loved one’s personality.
10. Photo Books – If you have a lot of family photos, a great idea can be to create a custom photo book for your senior loved one. You can easily customize the layout and design online and choose from a variety of sizes and binding types. It’s an inexpensive way to show them how much you care.
11. Gift Certificates – A gift certificate to their favorite restaurant or store is sure to please. Not only will they be able to enjoy a meal out, but it’s also something that can be used again and again.
12. Magazine Subscription – A magazine subscription is a great way to keep your beloved seniors informed and entertained. Choose one that focuses on their interests – whether it’s history, travel, cooking, or gardening. It will be something they can look forward to getting in the mail each month.
13. Chocolate Bouquet – Who doesn’t love chocolate? A delicious and unique gift, a chocolate bouquet is an excellent gift idea for the sweet-toothed older guy or gal in your life. It’s sure to bring a smile to their face!
14. Plant Subscription – If your loving elder family members enjoy gardening, a plant subscription could be the perfect gift. Many companies offer flexible subscription options so you can tailor it to their specific needs and interests.
15. Personalized Mug – A personalized mug can be a thoughtful way to show your cherished senior how much they mean to you. Put a funny phrase or photo on the mug to make it extra special.
16. Spa Gift Card – A spa gift card could be a great way to show the elderly people on your gift list that you care about their well-being. Whether they prefer a massage or a facial, they’ll love being able to relax and enjoy some pampering.
17. Homemade Treats – If you’re feeling crafty, why not bake something special for your senior loved one? Choose their favorite recipes or try a new recipe to make it extra special.
18. Slippers – Everyone loves a comfy pair of slippers! Treat the older folks on your gift list to some cozy house shoes that they can enjoy lounging around the house in. The best slippers we recommend are any that have a back support!
19. Picture Frame – A picture frame can be a great gift for grandparents and other older family members. Choose a fun or sentimental photo of your loved one and add it to the frame for an extra special touch!
20. Gift Basket – A gift basket is always a great choice, especially for seniors. Fill it with their favorite snacks, books, craft supplies, or any other items that you think they might enjoy.
This article is filled with inexpensive gifts for the holiday season or any other occasion!
Gifts For Seniors Under $10.00
If you’re looking for a gift that won’t break your budget but will still bring joy to someone special, then consider some of these inexpensive gifts for seniors. From puzzles and books to edible treats and kitchen gadgets, there are plenty of thoughtful gifts available without spending a fortune.
Here’s a list of great ideas all priced under $10.00.
Burt’s Bees Essentials
A great kit from Burt’s Bees that includes lip balm, body lotion, foot cream, and more. A nice way to keep oneself feeling pampered.
This telescoping back scratcher can be a great gift for almost anyone but especially seniors. It’s hard to get to those spots in your back that itch! This may be the best gift under the tree for your senior loved one.
Large Print Password Book
This large print password book can come in handy to help keep all those crazy passwords that we all need these days! Comes in a variety of covers and also En Espanol!
A Box Of Blessings For Women
My 100-year-old mom-in-law is full of positive affirmations and she credits her long and happy life to using them. This beautiful box is filled with 101 beautiful scripture-based blessings to give your senior gal a lift each day.
Wrist Key Ring Bangle
A great way to keep your keys ready to use! Comes in a variety of different colors and patterns. No more hunting for them in your pocket or your purse.
Scalp Head Massager
An itchy scalp can be so annoying! This great little gadget can solve that problem and give you an awesome massage as well.
Multi Tool Pen
This great little pen serves multiple purposes which can come in handy throughout your day. A useful, purposeful little gift that can be used time and time again.
Lip Balm Keychain
For anyone who’s addicted to lip balm (I certainly am), this can be a great gift! Keep it handy and ready to use!
Every so often, it’s a good idea to update your address book.
10 Large Print Puzzle Booklets
If your senior loved one enjoys puzzles, then this set of 10 puzzle booklets can be a great Christmas gift. There are crossword puzzles, word searches, and more.
Long Handled Shoe Horn
Is he or she having trouble putting their shoes on? This long-handled shoe horn may be just the thing to make it easier. In addition, it also has a hook on the opposite side to help with putting on and taking off socks!
Gifts For Seniors Under $25.00
If you’re looking for a unique and meaningful gift to give a senior in your life, you don’t have to break the bank. There are many thoughtful gifts that come in under $25.00 that will bring a smile to their face. Here are just some of the wonderful gifts that won’t break the bank.
Able Life Auto Cane
A great little gadget that can make getting in and out of a car so much easier and safer. A car cane standing aid is perfect for anyone who has trouble getting in and out of a car due to a recent knee or hip surgery (or simply has bad knees, etc.) It’s also very handy for someone with decreased hand strength.
For Beer Lovers With A Sense Of Humor
For those seniors who have a sense of humor and enjoy a glass of beer every now and then, this glass with Old Lives Matter can be a fun gift.
10x Magnifying Glass
I know the older I get, the more magnifying glasses I have throughout my house! This great magnifier has built-in LED lights and is a powerful 10x strength magnification.
For The Senior Handyman
For your senior handyman (or handywoman) this great multitool product can help them throughout all kinds of situations throughout the day.
For the sofa or their favorite recliner, this great little chair caddy can make it so much easier to have everything right where they need it when they need it! Comes with 5 pockets and in a variety of different colors.
For anyone who may be having a little bit of trouble opening jars, this great little gadget can come to the rescue! A very useful and practical gift.
Personalized Picture Frame
A 5×7 picture recordable picture frame! Put in your very own message so that your senior loved one can enjoy it whenever they would like.
The Story Behind Book
Some seniors just love learning. This book is filled with the history behind some of the most ordinary objects that we know, love, and use! A fun book for those who love fun facts and trivia.
Fleece Throw Blanket from Eddie Bauer
Keep them warm and snug with this beautiful fleece and reversible blanket. A perfect gift for anyone who lives in colder weather and/or tends to feel cold.
Lighted Beanie Hat
A great gift that comes in a variety of colors and is equipped with a USB rechargeable light. It’s perfect for anyone who works on projects and needs some extra light.
Does your senior loved one want to get healthier or is already on that track? Well, this personal-size smoothies blender can be a great gift! Couple it with a Smoothie Recipe Book too!
Gifts For Seniors Under $35.00
As a grandchild, niece, nephew, or friend of a senior, it can be difficult to find the perfect gift. Fortunately, there are plenty of thoughtful gifts for seniors that won’t break the bank.
Whether you’re looking for something special to celebrate a milestone birthday or anniversary, or just want to show your appreciation with an affordable and meaningful present, here are a few great options for gifts under $35.00 for seniors.
An achy neck from muscle pain can be difficult to live with and sometimes so very hard to resolve. This great massager can be a solution to that problem.
Lap Book Holder
Holding up a book or even a kindle to read can be tiring if you read for hours. This great book holder that can sit on your lap can hold it for you!
This beautiful and cozy fleece wrap shawl has buttons and pockets to help keep you warm and snuggly without having to deal with a blanket!
Electric Heating Pad with Auto Shut Off
Another great tool for staying warm is this beautiful heating pad. This can be a great gift especially if their heating pad is an older one without an auto shutoff! Safety first!
7 Inches Wall Mounted Digital Clock Day
A large wall-mounted digital alarm clock displays the day, date, time, and time of day (morning, noon, or night).
Complete Nail and Toenail Clippers
A very nice nail and toenail clipper set made specifically for seniors and for those with thick nails. Perfect for diabetics and/or adults who have arthritis.
Custom ID Bracelet
This specific id bracelet is for men and it comes in multiple different styles. A perfect gift for seniors with dementia or Alzheimer’s. For other styles for men and women, click here.
History Of The World Map by Map
A perfect gift for history buffs! This great book is filled with all kinds of history and beautiful, colorful maps. It’s a gift they will love!
For The Senior Artists
A beautiful set of 100 gel pens for the senior artists! So many colors available, glitter, swirl, pastel, and metallic.
20 Organic Essential Oils
Essential oils can be wonderful for aromatherapy (which can be beneficial for seniors), massages, and even skin and hair care. Here’s a kit with 20 different essential oils for your senior to enjoy. Just make sure to check this article about the do’s and don’t of essential oils.
Breakfast Sandwich Maker
An easy way to make your very own Egg McMuffin! You can even make croissants and mini waffles! Perfect for seniors living alone.
Inexpensive Gifts Under $50.00
If your budget is a bit higher and you can afford gifts up to $50.00, take a look at the 11 gifts we have listed below!
Digital Picture Frame
For many older adults (especially grandparents), a digital photo frame is a wonderful gift!
Medical Alert Systems
This inexpensive alert system comes with a wearable wristband and a pendant. I can’t stress enough how important it is for older adults to use some type of call button / medical alert device at all times.
Custom Photo Blanket
Imagine a blanket with a photo or photos of your family, your pets, or just your favorite vacation spots! It’s a wonderful personalized gift for anyone.
Smart Devices – Alexa Echo
Amazon’s Alexa device can be a wonderful product to make life easier and safer for many families and seniors. If they have WiFi, they can use Alexa!
This smartwatch fitness tracker does much more. Keeps track of calories, monitors your sleep and heartrate too. Works with both iPhone and Android phones.
Car Trunk Organizer
A great way to keep the trunk or back of the SUV organized and tidy. It’s foldable and comes with multiple compartments.
Pickleball Paddles and Balls
Seems everyone is playing Pickleball these days! If your loving senior on your list enjoys this game or is thinking about getting into it, then this set of paddles and balls can be a great gift.
Shoulder Heating Pad
If neck and shoulder pain is a problem for your senior loved one, consider giving them a heating pad made specifically for those areas. It can be much more than just a fun gift. It can be something that they use almost every day.
For the older folks on our list who enjoy putting things together, there’s just about nothing better than a Lego project. This great kit of 771 pieces can create a set of succulents all made out of Lego!
Turn Your TV Into Wall Art
Put this flash drive into your Television’s USB port and enjoy 500 beautiful paintings! It’s not only beautiful but a great conversation piece.
For the older loved ones on your gift list who enjoy candy, this kit of treats can be a blast from the past!
These 33 gifts for seniors are perfect for many small budgets. Enjoy being the gift bearer
Where To Go For Inexpensive Gifts For Seniors?
When it comes to finding inexpensive gifts for seniors, you don’t have to look far. There are plenty of options out there that won’t break the bank but will still be meaningful and appreciated by your loved one.
Thrift stores are a great way to find unique items for little money. You can often pick up vintage clothing, books, games, and other items.
Even if you don’t find something specifically for your senior, these stores can be treasure troves of creative inspiration for making homemade gifts such as drawings, scrapbooks, or handmade cards.
Online shopping is also an option for great deals on gifts. Websites like eBay and Etsy offer a range of products from new and vintage items to handmade crafts. You can also find great deals on personal care products, subscription boxes, and more.
Finally, local events such as flea markets, craft fairs, or farmers’ markets are often full of unique one-of-a-kind gifts. Plus, the extra effort put into finding something special makes it that much more meaningful.
No matter what kind of gift you’re looking for, there are plenty of ways to find fun, thoughtful, and inexpensive gifts for seniors. With a bit of creativity and planning, your senior will be sure to appreciate the thought behind any gift you give!
Don’t forget that the most precious gifts aren’t always material – spending quality time together, sharing memories, and having fun conversations can often be the best way to make someone feel special.
So why not plan a day out doing something your senior enjoys or spend an afternoon baking their favorite recipes together?
No matter how you choose to show your appreciation for a senior in your life, remember that it doesn’t have to cost a fortune!
No matter how much you plan to spend, your senior will appreciate a thoughtful gift that comes from the heart. Remember, it’s not about how much money you spend but rather the thoughtfulness of your gift.
Your loved one will be sure to treasure anything that captures their personality and celebrates your relationship. Let their years of wisdom and life experiences be celebrated with an inexpensive and thoughtful gift that they’ll cherish for years to come.