As people age, they often start to experience more aches and pains in their joints. This can make it difficult to get comfortable in a chair without armrests.
For this reason, many elderly people opt for chairs with arms.
Also, in our old age, our levels of mobility can decrease. This can make it difficult to get in and out of chairs, or to even stand up from a seated position.
Having a chair with arms can provide the support needed to maintain good posture and balance, and can also help prevent falls.
Some popular choices include recliners, lift chairs, and gliders.
These chairs can provide much-needed support and comfort, and they can help reduce pain in the back, neck, and shoulders.
As an Occupational Therapist, one of the issues I helped my patients and their families with was choosing the best type of furniture to make the home as safe and comfortable as possible for their senior loved ones.
So, I became acquainted with the different types of chairs on the market.
Some seniors will want to keep their old chairs but it’s worth the argument to make some changes that will make life easier and safer for them.
Sometimes, a new chair is needed and other times the only thing that’s needed is a slight change, like adding a supportive cushion or getting a recliner chair with arm rests.
There are a variety of chairs with arms available that are designed specifically for the elderly.
In this article, we will take a look at some of the most popular chairs elderly people, as well as some things to keep in mind when choosing one.
What Type Of Chair Is Best For Elderly Adults?
Generally speaking, some types of chairs are better suited for seniors than others.
Chairs with arms, for example, can provide additional support for those who have trouble getting to a standing position or sitting down.
Of course, this depends on whether or not they have enough upper body strength to help themselves.
In addition to making it easier to get up, the comfort level of the seat must also be taken into consideration.
Seat depth, width, and height all play a role in how comfortable a chair is.
For seniors, it’s often best to find a chair that has a seat that’s at least 19 inches deep and 21 inches wide.
The backrest should also be tall enough to provide support for the neck.
Recliners with arms can also be a good option for senior citizens. They allow the user to adjust their position with a push of a button.
Some even come with built in massagers!
High back chairs with arms can provide maximum comfort for older adults with back and/or neck pain.
These chairs provide support to the full length of the spine and can help prevent further pain or injury.
Of course, you a may also want a chair that fits your home style. Many of these chairs can fit in most homes.
So, whether you like classic design or contemporary design or even more of a traditional style, I’m sure you will be able to find the proper type of seating for your needs.
How To Choose A Chair For A Senior Person
When it comes to choosing the best chairs with arms for elderly people, one of the most important factors to consider is the person’s health.
Make sure to take into account any medical conditions that may affect their ability to use and sit in a chair.
For example, if they have arthritis, you’ll want to choose a chair that is easy for them to get in and out of.
If they have a bad back, you’ll want to choose a chair that offers good support.
If you’re selecting a chair for someone who is extremely overweight you want to look at very sturdy chairs with sturdy armrests! Bariatric chairs may be the best things to look at.
After all, many seniors can spend a long time in a chair so it’s important to choose one that is comfortable and will help them stay healthy.
One of the most important things to consider when choosing chairs with arms for the elderly is proper posture.
Make sure that the chairs you select offer support for the back and neck, as well as the arms.
This will help to ensure that your loved ones are able to sit comfortably without putting strain on their bodies.
Proper posture is essential for maintaining good health and preventing pain.
Whether you are choosing a chair for the kitchen, bedroom, living room or dining table, there are some basic things to keep in mind.
- First, make sure that it’s a sturdy chair and it’s the right size. A too-big or too-small chair can be uncomfortable and even dangerous. This is an important factor.
- Second, consider the seat height. A seat that is too low can be difficult to get in and out of, while a seat that is too high can be uncomfortable to sit in for long periods of time.
- Third, look at the seat width. You want to make sure that your senior loved one isn’t squeezing into the chair between the arm rests! The width of the seat should be able to provide a comfortable position for him or her.
- Fourth, make sure the chair has sturdy armrests. Most often, when you purchase a new chair it does have that but after some time, they may begin to wobble.
- Fifth, if your elderly person is having problems with incontinence, you may want to consider chairs with a plastic seat cushion cover. Or at least re-upholster the chair with something that is washable and or something that can be wiped clean.
- Finally, make sure that the chair is stable and does not wobble. A wobbly chair can be dangerous for someone who has balance problems.
When choosing chairs with arms for the elderly, the important thing to keep in mind is both comfort and safety.
With a little bit of research, you can find the perfect chairs to help your loved ones stay comfortable and safe.
What Is An Orthopaedic Chair?
An orthopaedic chair is a type of chair that is designed to provide support and comfort for people who have back or neck pain.
They are also sometimes referred to as ergonomic chairs (although that’s not what they really are).
Orthopaedic chairs are usually made with a high back and arms to support the spine, neck and head.
They may also have special features such as lumbar support and adjustable heights to ensure that the person using the chair is comfortable.
What Are The Benefits Of Using An Orthopaedic Chair?
There are some wonderful benefits that some seniors can get from using an orthopaedic chair. They are:
- They improve posture and help to straighten the spine.
- They help to reduce pain in the back, neck and shoulders.
- They can help to increase circulation and reduce swelling in the feet and legs.
- They can help to prevent pressure sores.
- They can help to improve mental alertness and concentration.
- They can help to reduce fatigue.
- They can help to prevent falls.
- They can help to increase independence.
Orthopaedic chairs are designed to provide support for the spine, neck and head. They can be used to recline, relax or sleep in.
They are available in a variety of sizes, shapes and styles to suit different people.
Some chairs have padded seats and backrests, while others have built-in massagers.
Orthopaedic chairs can be a great way for seniors to improve their overall health and well being.
What Are The Different Types Of Orthopaedic Chairs?
Orthopaedic chairs come in a variety of different styles, including office chairs, recliners and lift chairs.
Office chairs typically have adjustable back rests and arm rests, while recliners generally do not.
Lift chairs, as their name suggests, feature a mechanism that allows them to be raised or lowered to assist the user in getting in and out of the chair.
Here are some examples of orthopaedic chairs:
For The Living Room
- Material: The Recliner covered by high quality breathable fabric with thick padding provide better comfort, High quality and high breathability for better enjoyment of your favorite TV show or break.
Recliner type of chairs can provide a great deal of comfort and support. They come in a variety of styles and different colors and can be the best choice for yourself or your senior loved one.
For The Office
- Adjustable high-back executive chair for home or office work spaces; Comply with BIFMA standard
You may spend a good amount of time in your home office so make sure to keep yourself safe and comfortable with a good orthopaedic chair like this one.
For The Kitchen
- 1.Easy care fabric and easy assemble which makes you laborsaving
The kitchen is another place that you probably spend quite a bit of time at so make sure to make it comfortable and safe for yourself or senior loved ones.
How Do I Choose The Right Orthopaedic Chair For Me?
When choosing an orthopaedic chair, it is important to take into account your individual needs and preferences.
If you suffer from back pain, for example, you will likely want a chair with an adjustable back rest that can be customized to provide the optimal level of support.
If you have difficulty getting in and out of chairs, a lift chair may be the best option for you.
Orthopaedic chairs are available in a wide range of prices, so it is important to set a budget before beginning your search.
It is also important to keep in mind that the most expensive chair is not necessarily the best option for you.
In many cases, it is possible to find a high-quality, comfortable chair without spending a lot of money.
Once you have taken into account your individual needs and preferences, you can begin shopping for orthopaedic chairs.
What Is The Difference Between Ergonomic And Orthopedic Chairs?
The main difference between ergonomic and orthopedic chairs is that ergonomic chairs are designed to reduce strain on the body, while orthopedic chairs are designed to support the body in a natural position.
- Ergonomic chairs are often used by people who suffer from back pain or other conditions that cause discomfort when sitting for long periods of time.
- Orthopedic chairs, on the other hand, are often recommended for people who have arthritis or other conditions that make it difficult to sit in a traditional chair.
The one thing you want with either of these types of chairs is one that is adjustable so that you can find the perfect position for your needs.
What Is A Geriatric Chair?
If a senior’s mobility declines to the point where they are unable to walk either safely or alone, a geriatric chair then may be suitable for them.
A geriatric chair (aka geri chair) is a specialized type of chair designed specifically for elderly individuals.
These chairs typically have a number of features that make them more comfortable and convenient to use than regular chairs, such as armrests, reclining backrests, and adjustable heights.
Geriatric Chair With Built In Table
- THE INDUSTRY STANDARD: The first recliner specifically designed to improve the comfort and mobility of patients and residents in healthcare facilities.
Geri chairs are often used in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities, as they can help to improve the quality of life for residents.
I worked with many patients who were in geri chairs and in the nursing homes and rehabilitation centers that I worked in they were most often used for residents who were unable to walk and needed a comfortable, semi-reclining position.
These were patients who had a difficult time sitting in a wheelchair. For them, the geri chair provided some independence but still kept them safe.
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Geriatric Chair?
There are many benefits to using a geriatric chair, both for the individual and for the caregivers.
Geriatric chairs can help to increase comfort and mobility, while also providing support and stability.
Geriatric chairs can also help to improve circulation and reduce pressure on the spine. This can help to decreases the chances of bed sores.
The main benefit of a geri chair, especially in facilities such as nursing homes, is that they can get the patient out of the bed and out into the dining room, the recreation room, outdoors, etc.
What Features Do Geriatric Chairs Have?
Geriatric chairs typically have a number of features that make them more comfortable and convenient to use than regular chairs, such as :
- Comfortable, padded seats
- Adjustable backrests
- Arm rests
- Foot rests
- Wheels for easy mobility
Why Are Geriatric Chairs Important?
Geriatric chairs are important because they can help to improve the quality of life for elderly residents in long-term care facilities.
By providing comfort, support and mobility, geriatric chairs can help residents stay active.
Geriatric chairs are just one of the many types of specialized equipment that long-term care facilities use to provide the best possible care for their residents.
If you are looking for a way to improve the quality of life for your loved ones in a long-term care facility, consider investing in a geriatric chair.
What Are the Different Types of Geriatric Chairs?
There are many different types of geriatric chairs on the market, each designed to meet the specific needs of elderly residents.
Some common features of geriatric chairs include:
Arm rests: Many geriatric chairs come equipped with arm rests to provide support and stability for residents when they are sitting down.
Foot rests: Some chairs also come with foot rests to help prevent residents from slipping out of the seat.
Headrests: Headrests can be adjustable or fixed, and they help to support the head and neck while residents are sitting in the chair.
Reclining: Some chairs have the ability to recline, which can be helpful for residents who need to take a nap or want to watch television.
Wheels: Many geriatric chairs come with wheels, which make it easier for residents to move around in the chair.
Make sure to consider the different features that each type of chair offers, and pick the one that will be the most comfortable and supportive for your loved one.
What Is A Therapeutic Chair?
A therapeutic chair is a chair that is usually used by elderly or disabled people who need assistance in sitting down or standing up from a seated position.
Therapeutic chairs are also often used by people who have difficulty in maintaining their balance while sitting in a regular chair.
There are many different types of therapeutic chairs on the market today. The most common type of therapeutic chair is the recliner chair.
This type of chair allows the user to recline back in it, which helps to take the pressure off of their back and spine.
Another type of therapeutic chair is the lift chair. These are also known as riser recliner chairs.
This type of chair has a mechanism that lifts the user up to a semi standing position when they want to get up. It also lowers them down to a sitting position when they want to sit down.
This is a great option for people who have difficulty getting in and out of chairs on their own.
Lift Chair With Massage and Heat
- Power Lift Assistance: Counter-balanced lift mechanism with a TUV certified actuator pushes the entire chair up to assist the user stand up easily without adding stress to the back or knees, smoothly adjust to the lift or reclining position you prefer by pressing two buttons on the remote control
Benefits Of Lift Chairs For Seniors
- Lift chairs can help elderly adults who have difficulty getting in and out of chairs on their own.
- The lifting mechanism can also help take the pressure off of their back and spine.
- Lift chairs are a great option for people who want to be able to recline back in their chair and relax.
- Many lift chairs also come with features like massage and heat, which can further help to relax the user.
There are also bariatric chairs, which are designed for people who are overweight or obese.
These chairs have a higher weight capacity and are built to withstand the extra weight.
A Typical Bariatric Chair
- BEAUTIFUL OAK FURNITURE We’ve combined handsome solid oak with deep, plush upholstery to create furniture that presents a warm welcome. Stylish, economical, and comfortable, Dakota Wave by Wooden Mallet Valley series chairs are built to last. This bariatric chair features a 28-inch wide seat; Plus extra back and seat strengtheners to easily support up to 800 lbs.
The Benefits Of Bariatric Chairs For Seniors
- The higher weight capacity can help prevent injuries from occurring.
- The extra support can help to reduce pain in the back and spine.
- The sturdier construction can help to increase the longevity of the chair.
- The larger size can provide more comfort for the user.
- The additional features can help to promote relaxation and improve circulation.
There are many different types of therapeutic chairs to choose from, so it is important to do some research to find the perfect one for your needs.
What Is A Barrel Chair?
A barrel chair is a type of armchair that has a round, cylindrical shape.
They are often upholstered in fabric or leather and can have either high or low backs.
Barrel chairs are also sometimes known as drum chairs or globe chairs.
A Classic Barrel Chair
- [STYLISH DESIGN] Defined by a deep barrel design, this bucket chair adds an understated modern accent to your decor. A stylish addition to your living room, bedroom, guest room, or in hotels and cafes.
Why Would Someone Want A Barrel Chair?
There are several reasons why someone might want a barrel chair.
Firstly, they are very comfortable to sit in. The round shape of the chair conforms to the body, making it extremely cozy.
They are also very stylish and can add a touch of elegance to any room.
Who Would Benefit From A Barrel Chair?
There are several groups of people who would benefit from a barrel chair.
The elderly often have difficulty getting in and out of chairs. A barrel chair would be ideal for them as the high back would provide support when getting up.
They would also be perfect for people who suffer from back pain or other chronic pain conditions.
Barrel chairs come in a wide variety of styles, so there is sure to be one that will suit your taste. They can be upholstered in a variety of fabrics and even leather.
You can even find them with or without cushions. There are so many different options when it comes to barrel chairs that you are sure to find the perfect one for your home.
Barrel chairs are comfortable, stylish, and they can be used in a variety of different ways.
You can use them as accent chairs, or you can use them as dining chairs. You can even use them as office chairs.
There are so many different uses for barrel chairs that you are sure to find the perfect one for your needs.
What Is A Carver Chair?
A Carver chair is a type of armchair that is generally upholstered and has wide armrests. This type of chair is usually placed in living rooms or bedrooms.
It gets its name from the fact that it was traditionally used by people who would sit in front of the fireplace and carve wood.
You’ve probably seen carver chairs (and may have a few in your home) but never knew they were called that!
A Classic Wooden Carver Chair
- DESIGN & DIMENSIONS: Create timeless style in your home or dining area with this classic dining chair from International Concepts. It features a classic, double X-back design with a solid, unfinished wood construction to withstand years of use. The chair measures 23.6″ W x 22″ D x 41.3″ H, with a seat height of 17.3″ and an arm height of 24.8″. The width between the arms is 19.3″.
Nowadays, are popular as accent chairs and occasional chairs. They can be a great way to add extra seating to a room without taking up too much space.
Carver chairs are available in many different styles, so you should be able to find one that fits in well with your existing furniture.
When shopping for a carver chair, be sure to take into account your own personal taste and the overall theme of your home décor.
With so many different options available, you are sure to find a chair that will perfectly complement your existing furniture.
What Is A Zero-Gravity Chair?
A zero-gravity chair is a type of recliner that evenly distributes your weight across the chair, providing ultimate comfort and support.
This is especially beneficial for elderly individuals who may suffer from back pain or other mobility issues.
They are meant for outdoor use, patio type of chairs.
An Example Of A Zero Gravity Chair
- Padded Seat & Back: Fully padded seat suspended by double bungee system provides more comfort and durability. Extra-large wood-like pattern armrest provide more comfort. Cup tray is included for holding drinks or food
Zero-gravity chairs can also be used to improve circulation and reduce swelling in the legs and feet.
What Are The Benefits Of A Zero-Gravity Chair?
There are many benefits of using a zero-gravity chair, especially for seniors. Here are just a few of the potential benefits:
- Relief from back pain and other mobility issues
- Improved circulation
- Reduced swelling in the legs and feet
- Decreased stress and anxiety levels
- Improved sleep quality
If you’re considering a zero-gravity chair for an elderly loved one, be sure to do your research and find a reputable seller.
There are many fake or cheaply made chairs on the market, so it’s important to find a quality product that will offer the full range of benefits.
Kitchen Chairs For Elderly Adults
I have a few older friends who have just switched their old kitchen chairs that were on wheels to the safer chairs with arms that have no wheels.
Of course, they switched them AFTER they suffered a fall because the chair slipped out from under them! Don’t wait to be injured to change up your older kitchen chairs (the ones with wheels) to safer ones.
You may also want to read the research I did to find the best kitchen chairs for older adults – read it here.
What To Look For When Choosing A Kitchen Chair For An Older Person?
Here are 7 things to look for:
- Make sure the chair is stable. Avoid chairs with wheels.
- Choose a chair with arms for added support and stability.
- Look for a comfortable seat that is the right height.
- The chair should have a backrest to provide support for the lower back.
- The seat and backrest should be padded for comfort.
- The chair should be lightweight and easy to maneuver.
- The chair should have non-slip “feet” on the legs.
If you or someone you know is looking for a safe and comfortable kitchen chair, make sure to keep these six things in mind!
Fireside Chairs For The Elderly
If you’re lucky enough to have a fireplace in your home that you can easily and safely use every autumn and winter, then you probably have a fireside chair as well.
A fireside chair is a great addition to any home, especially for the elderly. It provides a comfortable place to sit and relax, while also being able to provide support and stability.
A Comfortable Fireside Chair
- Teal fabric upholstered accent chair (minor assembly)
When choosing a fireside chair for the elderly, it is important to consider the following factors:
- The height of the seat. You will want to choose a chair that is comfortable for the user to sit in, without being too low or too high.
- The width of the seat. You will want to ensure that the chair is wide enough for the user to sit in, without being too narrow.
- The type of material the chair is made from. You will want to choose a material that is durable and easy to clean, such as leather or vinyl.
- The style of the chair. You will want to choose a style that is appropriate for the décor of the room, as well as the user’s personal taste.
- The price of the chair. You will want to ensure that you are getting a good value for your money, without spending too much.
How Can I Help My Elderly Person Get Out Of The Chair?
If your elderly person is having difficulty getting out of their chair, there are a few things you can do to help.
Simple Steps To Helping Someone Up From A Chair
- Start by positioning yourself in front of the chair, in front of the person sitting in the chair.
- Ask them to wiggle towards the edge of the chair but make sure they don’t come out too far otherwise they may fall.
- Ask them to hold out their arms.
- You can take a hold of their hands and pull them up.
- You can also try using a standing aid like this one.
- NOTE: You should ONLY do this if you are in good physical condition so that you do not fall or harm yourself while helping the person in the chair.
Another option could be the SitnStand Portable Smart Rising Seat. This device inflates to help the person up and deflates when they want to sit down.
- EASY-TO-USE: NO installation, NO assembly, NO problem!! This mobility & daily living seat lift for seniors, which can be attached to recliner chairs for the elderly, is revolutionary. Simple up/down buttons will inflate/deflate the cushion steadily as you sit down and stand up.
This article has affiliate or sponsored links. If you buy something through those links we may earn a small commission. This won’t cost you extra. We only recommend things we really think are good, not just to make money. For more details, see our Affiliate Disclaimer.