A dementia ID bracelet is a type of jewelry that is worn by someone who has been diagnosed with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease.
The bracelet serves as a form of identification and can help caregivers and loved ones identify the individual in emergency situations.
The idea behind wearing an ID bracelet is that if a person with dementia gets separated from loved ones or sets off on their own and can’t get back home.
They can show the bracelet to someone who will be able to contact their caregiver or family member.
Keep reading to learn more about the different styles of dementia jewelry, along with the benefits (and drawbacks) of wearing them.
We’ve even got some ID recommendations for you!
How Do Dementia Bracelets Help?
Dementia is a progressive brain disorder that gradually destroys a person’s memory and ability to think clearly.
So how do dementia bracelets help older adults who have been diagnosed with dementia?
There are several ways:
- First, as we’ve been saying, the bracelet can act as a form of identification. This is extremely important in cases where elderly individuals become lost or confused or wander away from home. In these situations, having a bracelet that identifies the person as having dementia can help speed up the process of being reunited with loved ones.
- Additionally, wearing a bracelet as a form of identification can be a constant reminder that they have dementia and may help them to stay more alert and aware of their condition.
- And. just like with a medical ID bracelet, the information can be helpful for dementia sufferers who need to be taken to the hospital for a medical emergency.
- Wearing an ID bracelet can provide peace of mind for the person’s loved ones.
ID bracelets for dementia come in other forms, too. Medical ID jewelry can actually be wristbands, necklaces, keychains, or lapel pins.
These items can be helpful for people who are uncomfortable wearing a wristband.
What Are The Benefits Of ID Bracelets For Dementia?
ID bracelets for dementia have several benefits, including:
- Providing a legible record of the person’s name, address, phone number, and an emergency contact number
- Allowing healthcare professionals to quickly identify patients in an emergency
- Providing medical information to first responders, such as any medical condition (ie: a heart condition or diabetes) and any known or severe allergies they may have
- Providing peace of mind for loved ones
- They are customizable to fit the wearer’s needs
TIP: Since you never know when someone with symptoms of dementia might get confused in a new setting, it is important that the ID bracelet is worn at all times.
This is even more important if the person is prone to wandering.
What Are The Drawbacks Of ID Bracelets For Dementia?
Even though this jewelry is very beneficial, there are a few potential drawbacks to wearing ID bracelets for dementia, including:
- The individual may feel self-conscious or stigmatized wearing the bracelet
- Depending on the material that’s used to make the bracelet, it it gets wet, it may not be readable
- It is possible for the bracelet to be removed by either the person wearing the bracelet or by someone who wants to harm them
Despite these drawbacks, ID bracelets offer a number of advantages and are a valuable tool in helping to keep people with dementia safe.
What Types of ID Bracelets Are Available For Dementia Patients?
There are a few different types of bracelets that are available for individuals who have been diagnosed with dementia.
The most common type of bracelet is the medical ID bracelet (think of the stainless steel bracelets with the medical emblem on them).
This wristband might also be made of silicone or plastic.
Either style should have the words “Dementia” or “Alzheimer’s” printed on it, as well as the individual’s name, date of birth, and a contact number for a caregiver.
You might want to may also include information about the individual’s dementia diagnosis.
Nowadays, you don’t have to be saddled with just these types of medical bracelets, though. You can even get very pretty medical identification bracelets that look just like regular jewelry.
My argument against them is that the “jewelry type” may not draw the attention of emergency responders if there was a major problem, such as the wearer getting lost or in the event of a medical emergency.
Another type of bracelet that is available is the Alzheimer’s Association wristband.
This wristband is blue and has the word “Alzheimer’s” written on it in white letters. It is part of the Alzheimer’s Association Safe Return program (read more about that program here).
Because the wearer can generally take off an ID bracelet on their own, it is important to consider investing in a non-removable id bracelet.
These bracelets have a number of benefits over traditional wristbands, necklaces, or tags, including:
- Being less likely to be removed or lost
- Being less likely to fall off or be pulled off
- Being discreet and not attracting attention from strangers
- Allowing the wearer to maintain some degree of independence and privacy
In the following sections, we’re listing some ID bracelets and medical jewelry that we recommend for dementia patients, so keep reading.
ID Bracelets With Silicone Bands
I’m a runner and I use the Road ID medical bracelet myself. It gives me peace of mind that if I ever fall or am otherwise injured while I’m running, someone will know who my emergency contacts are.
Stainless Steel ID Bracelets
This pretty medical alert ID bracelet from Lauren’s Hope is dainty for women. It uses laser engraving to add your pertinent information and is hypoallergenic. The bracelet also comes in rose gold / silver.
The drawback to this one is that it only allows three lines of writing, so the information you can put on it is limited.
- EASY TO READ IN AN EMERGENCY: You will have peace of mind, stress free & relief knowing your medical alert bracelet can be easily read
This pretty medical alert bracelet from My Identity Doctor Store is made in the USA from 316L steel. It’s custom engraved, non-allergenic and stands up to water and saltwater.
One thing to note is that the links are strong, but they are not soldered so if the wearer pulled hard enough they could break it.
- 👍 FREE ENGRAVING IN USA FOR CUSTOM EMERGENCY MESSAGE: A custom engraved medical ID speaks precisely for you in an emergency when you can’t, allowing medical professionals provide the right treatment and attention you need. Personalize your now by selecting the CUSTOMIZE NOW button to the right. QUICK 2-DAY PROCESSING!
This stainless steel medical alert bracelet for men is made of stainless steel and features wear resistant, deep, custom laser engraving in high contrast black letters (4 lines of 18 characters each). You have a choice of colors for the medical alert symbol.
Be aware that the medical information is printed on the inside of the bracelet, so make sure the bracelet size you order is big enough that the bracelet can be flipped over to read it. Size options: 7.0/ 7.5 / 8.0 / 8.5 inches.
- 👍 FREE ENGRAVING FOR CUSTOM EMERGENCY MESSAGE: A custom engraved medical ID bracelet speaks precisely for you in an emergency when you can’t, allowing medical professionals provide the right treatment and attention you need. Personalize your now by selecting the CUSTOMIZE NOW button to the right.
This stainless steel medical ID bracelet is adjustable for size. It is corrosion resistant, metal/latex allergy friendly, high temperature resistant, and waterproof.
It also comes with a two-year warranty against tarnishing.
Medical Alert Necklace Dog Tags
- MEDICAL DOG TAG: Our medical alert necklace has an acid etched and blue color filled medical “Star of Life.” This symbol is recognized worldwide, signifying to medical responders of existing medical conditions.
These dog tags are for men or women and come with wear-resistant, deep custom laser engraving in high contrast white-on-black.
Put your loved one’s name on the front (2 lines of writing) plus there are 5 more lines of information that can be added to the back of the dog tag.
Be aware that the chain is not too sturdy, so you would likely want to invest in a stronger chain that can’t break easily.
Non Removable ID Bracelets For Dementia Patients
- MATERIAL: 316L stainless steel,durability,dighly resistant to scratching,rusting and tarnishing,high Quality.ITEM SIZE:Width 15.5mm,Length 210mm( 8.3 Inches).
The VNOX Medical Alert bracelet is made from 316L stainless steel and is highly resistant to scratching, rusting and tarnishing,
Although you can remove this bracelet, the clasp is difficult to figure out, so someone with dementia or Alzheimer’s should not be able to take it off.
This article has affiliate or sponsored links. If you buy something through those links we may earn a small commission. This won’t cost you extra. We only recommend things we really think are good, not just to make money. For more details, see our Affiliate Disclaimer.