The ability to monitor elderly loved ones is one of the great benefits that we have in today’s high tech environment.
There are several products available that we’ve been recommending for this very purpose.
Recommended Home Monitoring Devices
Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor
Many of us have used baby monitors before in our homes so we’re very familiar with how helpful they can be.
Today’s monitors (and the one we recommend) also come with video so you can “hear” and “see” what and who you are monitoring.
- 2022 AWARD WINNER: Awarded “Best Baby Monitor Overall, 2022” by NBC News. The DXR-8 video baby monitor offers clear and reliable sound/video, long battery life, exceptional signal range and user-friendly controls — the dependable choice to help keep your baby safe and provide you with peace of mind.
The Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor is one of the top items that our readers are purchasing and it makes sense – it’s a great product at a reasonable price.
I personally used a baby monitor when I stayed with my mother to help her through her illness and it came in handy several times.
When caregivers consider installing video cameras throughout the home or in just a specific room – they have a few options to choose from that we recommend.
COOAU Pet Camera
Yes, I know – this is a “pet camera” but honestly – don’t let the name fool you.
It can be used for just about anything that you want to monitor visually.
The features that the COOAU Pet Camera offers include:
- It detects sound
- Tracks motion
- Facial recognition
- 2 way audio
- Real time alerts
- Works with Alexa
- Offers cloud storage
- Uses 1024 bit financial level encryption for privacy protection
Blurams Home Pro
- 👍Stay Connected 24/7 – 2K resolution, 131° FOV live stream direct to your phone day and night with advanced night vision. Two-Way Audio allows you to talk with your family through hands-free calling or send voice command to your pet. Accessing 4 wifi security cameras simultaneously on one screen in one app to remote monitor different places.
This camera offers very similar features to the pet camera we mentioned above and a few extra features that may be of use to you.
The Blurams indoor camera includes the following features:
- 2 way audio
- Facial recognition
- Smart home alerts
- Privacy area
- Night vision
- Local and cloud storage
- Works with Alexa and Google Assistant
- Live stream / real time alerts
- Premium speakers with Dolby processing let you stream music and books in crisp, stereo sound. With a vibrant 10.1″ HD screen for watching videos, movies, and TV shows in a new fabric design.
The Echo Show that you see here offers you audio and video and by implementing the skills that all the Alexa devices offer – you can use it as you would a video or audio type of monitoring system.
The Alexa skills that can help you to monitor your senior loved one include:
- Drop in skill (works with Echo Show)
- Use it as an Intercom
- Video Phone Calls (if you need help)
- The new Alexa Hub feature
An Overall Monitoring Device
Nobi is a new product from Belgium and was only available in Europe but it’s now also available here in the United States.
It seems to be an overall monitoring device disguised as an overhead light. It’s able to connect (and contact) an unlimited number of family members.
It offers so many features:
- fall prevention device (motion detection turns the light on)
- fall alert (contacts the people on your list that you have fallen)
- controlled via smart phone
- provides weather forecast
- adjusts lighting
- built in air quality monitor
- collects data from other smart devices
Watch the video below so that you can get the full overview of this wonderful gadget. I hope it can eventually be offered worldwide.
This article has affiliate or sponsored links. If you buy something through those links we may earn a small commission. This won’t cost you extra. We only recommend things we really think are good, not just to make money. For more details, see our Affiliate Disclaimer.