An Amazon Echo Show for seniors is the perfect device for those looking to stay connected and answer questions.
With its intuitive interface, smart display and wide range of features, this smart speaker can help you find information and stay up-to-date on the go.
Amazon’s Echo Show is an amazing product for elderly parents and other senior loved ones!
It’s just one of the many Alexa smart devices that are available on the market today and we can probably expect more to come in the next few years.
PC Magazine evaluated 8 smart displays for 2022 and voted the Amazon Echo Show 8 as the “best overall value” and we have to agree!
In an article on Techradar.com written in 2019…
Smart voice assistants are already a staple in many homes. According to the latest stats, more than 66.4 million people in the US – 26.2% of the total population – now own a smart speaker. Similar stats in the UK suggest they’re nearly as popular, with more than 22% of households reportedly now kitted out with a voice-activated device.
The Amazon Echo Show is one of the smart home devices that can specifically to meet the needs of seniors and other elderly individuals.
It features a touchscreen display that makes it easy to navigate menus and control the device with touch or voice, as well as all of the Alexa voice assistant capabilities that she offers.
Whether you need help managing medication schedules, getting groceries delivered, or just want to stay connected with loved ones, the Echo Show is an easy way to manage all of that.
And because it’s from Amazon, you can rest assured that it will continue to receive regular updates and new features over time.
Is Echo Show Easy To Use For Seniors?
The Amazon Echo Show is designed to be extremely user-friendly, making it a great option for seniors and other elderly loved ones.
It is equipped with a touchscreen display that makes it simple to navigate menus and control the device by touch or by voice control.
BUT – I will have to say that for some seniors, it will not be as easy as it may be for others. Remember, for the majority of their lives, they did not use tools with voice control, etc.
So, don’t be discouraged if you or a senior loved one needs a little more training.
If you’re looking for a personalized assistant that can help make life easier and safer for your elderly loved ones, the Echo Show could be just what you need.
With its intuitive design and wide range of helpful features, it makes an ideal gift for seniors or others who want added convenience in their lives.
Do You Need A Smartphone To Use Amazon Echo Show?
The Amazon Echo Show works with or without a smartphone. You can set it up using a computer. But you will need Wi-Fi set up in your home.
When you set up the Echo Show and tell it where your Wi-Fi network is, it will automatically connect to that network – with no smartphone or computer needed.
You can also make phone calls from the Echo Show without a smartphone by adding in your landline number.
But, although you don’t necessarily need a smartphone to set up the Amazon Echo Show (or any Alexa device) it can make it easier for family members to set it up on their smartphone.
Even if they already have their own Amazon account on their cell phone.
Is Echo Show Good For Elderly Adults?
Is the Amazon Echo Show for old people? Can it really be a beneficial tool for them?
The Amazon Echo device can help older people in many ways. For example, the device can provide them with information such as the weather forecast, news headlines, and their daily schedule.
The Echo Show can also act as a virtual assistant, helping them to remember important tasks or doctor’s appointments. You can even add and keep track of a shopping list.
And yes, it can also send a text message.
Additionally, the Echo Show can be used to listen to music and watch videos, which can help keep them entertained. Overall, the Amazon Echo Show is a useful device for older adults that can make their lives easier and more enjoyable.
There are many more ways that Amazon’s Echo Show device can make life easier and safer for older adults.
The features that the Alexa devices provide are called Skills. In 2022, there are over 100,000 skills so far. There are new skills being added all the time.
Here are just a few that I think would be beneficial for older adults.
- The Drop In Skill allows you to instantly connect to another person’s Alexa device – acting like an intercom. The person you are connecting to must have given you permission to do so at first, and then you can “drop in” on them. They do not have to answer in order for you to drop in.
- Video Calls are a wonderful way for seniors to combat social isolation and stay in touch with family and friends. With Echo Show you can make video calls to others who also have the Echo Show in their own homes. Or, you can use Skype on your Echo Show as well.
- Phone calls are also another way to keep in touch. You don’t have to use the screen on Echo Show to make a phone call and you don’t have to remember the phone number either. As long as the person you are calling is in your contact list – you can just ask Alexa to call them.
- The Show and Tell Skill (which is fairly new) allows someone with low vision to hold up a box or can food item to the Echo Show screen and then ask “Alexa, what am I holding?” or “Alexa, what’s in my hand?” It may ask you to turn the object or to hold it closer and once it reads what the object is, then it will beep a few times and tell you what you are holding. It’s not 100% as of yet, but I have to say it’s pretty darn close!
- The Alert a Buddy Skill is a great way to ask for help if needed. If you happen to fall, simply say “Alexa, ask my buddy to send help.” It will then contact whomever you set up as your emergency contact.
- Alexa Together (previously known as Alexa Care Hub) is a skills that can help family members to help keep a track of their senior loved ones.
- Use any of the Alexa devices as a speaker in your living room or great room to amplify the sound from the television set (if you have a hearing problem).
- For seniors who are Amazon Prime Members – they can watch anything that is available on their Prime account right on their Echo Show.
- Some of the other amazing things it can do is to control a smart thermostat, listen to their favorite music, as an alarm clock and set reminders.
- In addition to these video capabilities – the Echo Show can do everything that all the other Alexa devices can do – which for seniors – can be amazing. I wrote about 29 great skills that I found beneficial for older adults – read that article here.
The most difficult part of using Alexa devices for seniors (in my opinion) is that they may have a hard time finding and remembering the simple voice commands.
Different Echo Show Models
There are 4 different model sizes of the Echo Show.
- Echo Show 5 has a 5 inch screen
- Echo Show 8 has an 8 inch screen
- Echo Show Premium has a 10.1 inch screen
- Echo Show 15 has a 15 inch monitor that mounts to the wall
We have always recommended the larger size – the one with the 10.1 inch screen simply because it’s easier for seniors to see what’s on the screen.
But now the new 15 inch monitor has come out so if you’re looking for a larger monitor that can be mounted onto the wall – then look at that model.
Where To Buy The Echo Show?
These days, there are multiple places that you can get your very own Echo Show, in person or online.
To buy the Echo Show, check out the online stores below:
Older generations are often left behind when it comes to new technology. But the Amazon Echo Show is different – it was designed with seniors in mind.
With its large display and easy-to-use interface, the Echo Show is perfect for those who want to stay connected and informed.
Alexa technology is a groundbreaking innovation that has changed the way we interact with our devices.
With Alexa-enabled devices like the Amazon Echo Show, seniors can easily access information and stay connected to their loved ones using simple voice commands.
The sound quality of the Amazon Echo Show is excellent, making it easy to hear recipes, news updates, or weather forecasts.
Plus, the built-in camera allows seniors to video chat with family and friends, no matter where they are.
Whether you are looking for recipes, news updates, or weather forecasts, Alexa has you covered with an intuitive and easy-to-use interface.
Best of all, the Amazon Echo Show can be easily set up and operated without any prior tech experience.
So if you are looking for a way to stay connected and informed, consider getting an Amazon Echo Show for seniors. You won’t be disappointed!