For a long time, people have been using rugs in their bathrooms to add color, personality, and comfort. Unfortunately, if they’re not secured properly, they can be a slipping hazard.
Bathroom rugs and bathroom mats are essential for keeping your feet dry and warm when you step out of the shower or get ready in front of the sink. Especially during the winter! No one likes stepping onto a cold floor.
Falls are one of the leading causes of injuries in the United States, and slippery floors are a common factor in many of them.aspellaw.com
In this article, we will share some tips and products that can help seniors keep their bathroom rugs in place, preventing any slipping accidents. This information will work on large or small rugs and those of any shape.
Note: We highly recommend that you avoid using bath towels as rugs, as they can be very slippery.
What Is The Purpose Of A Bath Mat?
A bath mat is placed in front of the sink, shower, or bathtub to provide a dry, safe place for you to stand while getting ready for your day or evening. A proper bath mat offers protection against slips and falls, which are common in bathrooms due to the presence of water. They come in a variety of sizes, colors, and materials, so you can find one that fits your needs and taste.
Table of Contents
General Tips On Avoiding Falls In The Bathroom
Before we get into our topic, let’s go over some general tips on how you can decrease your chances of falling in the bathroom.
- Wet Bathroom Floors – besides the kitchen, the bathroom is one of the most common places in the home where people slip and fall. To avoid this, always make sure to wipe up any spills as soon as they happen and to keep the floor dry when you’re done showering.
- Quick Dry Rugs – some bathroom rugs stay soggy from excess water so when you step on them, they slide right out from under your feet. To avoid this, invest in high quality quick dry rugs or hang up your wet ones to dry after each use.
- Place Your Rugs – the best places to place non slip bathroom rugs is in front of the sink, the bathtub and in front of the shower door.
- Grab Bars – a good solution to helping to prevent falling for most every older adult is to make sure to install grab bars not only in the shower but by the toilet and perhaps by the sink.
- Alert Devices – either a medical alert device or an Alexa or Google Home smart speaker should be within reach or your voice so you can call for help if needed.
How Do You Keep Rugs From Slipping On Tile Floors?
If you have tile floors in your home, you may have experienced the frustration of rugs slipping and sliding around. This can be dangerous, especially if you have young children or elderly family members who could trip and fall.
There are several things you can do to keep your throw rugs, bathroom rugs and all your other rugs from slipping on tile floors and stay in the right place where you put them.
One way to keep bathroom rugs from slipping is to choose ones that have a rubber backing on the bottom of the rug. This type of backing provides extra grip and prevents the rug from moving around.
But, the problem with machine washable rugs that have a rubber backing is that it has a limited lifespan. What happens after time is that the rubber backing will crumble.
Not only can crumbled rug backing come off in the laundry and damage your washing machine…homeguides.sfgate.com
Tip: If you wash your bath rugs with rubber backing in cold water or warm water (versus hot water), it will help it to last longer. (Check the care label for your rug.) Of course, you also want to use your vacuum cleaner to keep them clean in between washings.
Another option is to buy a separate rug pad that has a rubber backing. This can be placed under the rug to provide extra grip and protection. We’ll be going into more details on products to keep your bath mats and rugs from slipping further in this article.
Slipping and falling is one of the most common accidents for older adults in the home, so it’s important to take measures to prevent rugs from slipping on tile floors.
What To Put Under Rugs To Stop Them From Slipping?
There are basically 4 types of products that anyone can use to put under their bathroom rugs (or any other rugs in their home) to keep them from slipping.
- Rug pads are pieces of material that you place under your rug to provide cushioning and traction. There are many different types of rug pads available, so be sure to choose one that is specifically designed for use on tile floors.
- Double-sided tape is a very strong adhesive that will keep the rug in place, but it can be difficult to remove if you ever want to change the location of the rug.
- Rug grippers are small plastic or rubber devices that you place under the corners of the rug. They grip the floor and keep the rug from slipping.
- The fourth option is to use a piece of Dycem or alternative. For some situations, this might be the best option.
Now, a fifth option that I have seen some use is some type of glue, like from a hot glue gun or other type of glue under the rug. This of course adheres the rug to the floor and is not easily removed.
But, it is an option so I wanted to make sure to mention it.
No matter which method you choose, be sure to test it out before putting your full weight on the rug. You don’t want to end up on the floor!
Products To Help Keep Your Bathroom Rug From Slipping
If you have a bathroom rug that keeps slipping, there are a few different products that can help. Check out the three different types that we list below.
Non Slip Rugs
Bath Mats With Suction Cups
Super Grip Shelf Liner
About Rug Grippers
Rug grippers are usually made of a material like rubber or PVC. You can find them online or at most home improvement stores. They can work well on smooth surfaces, uneven surfaces and of course, hard surfaces.
How To Use Rug Grippers
To use rug grippers, start by cleanings the floor where you will be placing the rug. Then, peel off the backing on the grippers and stick them onto the corners or edges of the rug.
If you have a larger rug, you may need to use more than one set of grippers.
Do Rug Grippers Work On Carpet?
What if your bathroom is carpeted? Will rug grippers help to keep your bathroom rugs secure?
Rug grippers are designed to work on any type of flooring, including carpets. They create a tight seal between the bottom of the rug and the floor, preventing slipping and bunching.
For best results, choose a gripper that is designed specifically for carpeted floors. These grippers will have a different design than those made for hardwood or tile floors, and will grip the carpet fibers more securely.
If you are unsure which type of gripper to choose, ask a sales associate at your local home improvement store for help.
What Is The Best Rug Gripper For Carpets?
There are all kinds of rug grippers and if you want to secure your rugs that are sitting on top of carpet, you want to make sure to select the best rug gripper for the job. A good choice that we recommend is the Home Techpro Rug Pad Grippers.
Best Rug Gripper For Carpets
Can You Use Rug Grippers On Hardwood Floors?
You can absolutely use rug grippers on your wood floors. As long as the grippers do not use an adhesive or some type of tape – there should be no damage to your floors.
Just be sure to test the grippers in an inconspicuous area first, to be sure they don’t leave a residue.
Are Rug Grippers Safe For Laminate Floors?
Yes, there are rug grippers that are safe for most any kind of flooring. Hardwood, Tile, Laminate, Stone, Vinyl, Concrete and even Carpet.
Ledgebay Rug Pad Grippers
What Type Of Rug Is Best For The Bathroom?
When it comes to choosing a rug for your bathroom, there are many factors to consider. The most important factor is probably the material of the rug. You want a material that is going to be durable and able to withstand a lot of water.
Cotton rugs are a very popular type of rug that most household bathrooms have. These do come with non-slip backings and you can also add a rug pad or rug grippers under them to keep them in place.
Bathroom rugs often get wet, so you need to make sure that the material can handle that.
A rug like the MontVoo Rubber Rug is a great one to consider. It’s one of the best bath mats in my personal opinion.
Quick Drying Non Slip Rug
Some other factors to consider are the size of the rug. You want a bathroom rug that is big enough to fit in front of your sink, toilet, and tub. But you don’t want it to be too big because then it will take up too much space in a small bathroom and make your bathroom look cluttered.
Should You Put A Rug In Front Of The Toilet?
Another area of the bathroom to think about is in front of the toilet. This is a common place for rugs and one that most of us don’t think about slipping on.
But generally speaking, it’s actually not a good idea to place a rug around or in front or near the toilet. Reasons being…
- That area of the bathroom is exposed to quite a large number of germs which can make that rug near the toilet very unsanitary.
- That area is also exposed to a damp environment which can promote mold growth under that area rug.
- For older adults using a cane or a walker, it’s just another little obstacle that they have to make sure not to trip over as they are getting ready to use the toilet.
Alternative Toilet Rug
An option that you may want to consider is adding a toilet flat around your toilet. They are shaped just like traditional toilet rugs but are made of vinyl. They also come with a non-slip backing and are only .059 inches high which makes them extremely senior friendly.
But, if you must have a rug by your toilet, we recommend that you clean it regularly. Just check with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
There you have it! A few different ways to keep your bathroom rugs from slipping. By following these tips, you can prevent accidents and keep your bathroom looking great.