In addition to birthdays and anniversaries, there are many other wonderful, unique holidays for seniors. If you aren’t yet aware, there are many more “holidays” than just the traditional ones we know such as Christmas, New Year, Passover, St Patrick’s Day and more.
Who says that the traditional holiday season is the only “wonderful time of the year?” You can make most every day a special time of year!
So, I thought we should help seniors and their caregivers to have a little fun and celebrate some of these unique. What a great way to spend time with your senior loved one. Think of it as creating a year long holiday season!
Any caregiver providing home care to a senior loved one can always use some fun activities to make the days just a bit special.
Ideas For Fun Activities For These Holidays
There are so many holiday ideas for fun things to do to celebrate these very unique holidays – here are just a few to get you inspired.
- Check out some of your favorite holiday movies for the traditional holidays but for the unique ones, come up with your own movies to celebrate that day. Example: For “Thank A Mailman Day” on February 4th – make it a tradition to watch The Postman.
- Break up social isolation (so common for seniors) by inviting others over to celebrate any of these holidays. It’s a great way to combat feelings of loneliness for the senior and the family caregiver. And you may just find that you can have a great time with others.
- Involve the whole family in a Zoom meeting and make new memories by playing a board game with them, or maybe working on favorite recipes tailored to that special day.
- Letter Writing Week is the perfect time to write to old friends and elderly family members that you haven’t seen in a while.
- Create some of your own holiday traditions to involve your pets. This is perfect for Love Your Pet Day. No reason why your furry friend can’t get into the holiday spirit too!
- A great arts and crafts project is to make your very own holiday cards for these unique holidays. You can even make some new beloved holiday decorations as well!
- Celebrate National Selfie Day by send your selfies to loved ones. These small gifts can truly end up being valuable gifts for others.
- Invite a favorite senior citizen for International Coffee Day to your own home. It’s an excellent way to spend some quality time with them.
- If mobility issues or health conditions prevent you from getting out much, consider a video chat tailored to the unique holiday of the day. This also is true if you are social distancing.
- Create your own traditional holiday meal on National Siblings Day. Celebrate with your family’s favorite recipes and add this day to your list of family holidays.
- Cheer Up The Lonely Day is a perfect time to bake cookies and take them to someone who you know is living alone. This is a wonderful way for adult children to take some time to visit their senior loved ones.
- Doing for others is always a great way to get out of your own head and situation so celebrate Be An Angel Day by volunteering or doing something for other elderly people, an entire family, etc.
- Cuddle Up Day is a perfect time to just sit back and enjoy some of your favorite movies. You can even gather family, make some popcorn and make a wonderful day of it.
- Set aside time on March 30th for Take A Walk In The Park Day. There might even be some local events that you can attend.
Here’s Our List Of Fun Holidays For Seniors
- National Bath Safety Month
- Hot Tea Month
- 2nd week – Letter Writing Week
- January 1st – New Year’s Day
- January 3rd – Festival Of Sleep Day
- January 6th – Cuddle Up Day
- January 8th – National Take The Stairs Day
- January 10th – Houseplant Appreciation Day
- January 12th – Feast Of Fabulous Wild Men Day
- January 12th – National Pharmacist Day
- January 21st – National Hugging Day
- January 24th – Compliment Day
- January 29th – National Puzzle Day
- Canned Food Month
- American Heart Month
- Spunky Old Broads Month
- National Senior Independence Month
- 3rd Friday – Caregiver Appreciation Day
- February 1st – Send A Card To A Friend Day
- February 4th – Thank A Mailman Day
- February 16th – Do A Grouch A Favor Day
- February 17th – Random Acts Of Kindness Day
- February 18th – National Battery Day
- February 20th – Love Your Pet Day
- February 22nd – Walking The Dog Day
- Social Workers Month
- National Craft Month
- March 2nd – Old Stuff Day
- March 10th – International Day Of Awesomeness
- March 12th – Plant A Flower Day
- March 17th – St. Patrick’s Day
- March 30th – Take A Walk In The Park Day
- March 30th – National Doctor’s Day
- March 31st – World Backup Day
- Lawn And Garden Month
- Stress Awareness Month
- April 1st – National Walking Day
- April 2nd – Reconciliation Day
- April 10th – National Siblings Day
- April 13th – Scrabble Day
- April 16th – National Stress Awareness Day
- April 19th – National Hanging Out Day
- April 20th – Volunteer Recognition Day
- National Blood Pressure Month
- Older Americans Month
- 1st week – Nurse’s Week
- 4th week – Emergency Medical Services Week
- May 6th – National Nurses Day
- May 10th – Mother’s Day
- May 12th – International Nurses Day
- May 18th – Visit Your Relatives Day
- National Adopt A Cat Month
- 1st Week – National Gardening Week
- June 4th – Hug Your Cat Day
- June 8th – Best Friends Day
- June 18th – Nursing Assistants Day
- June 19th – National Kissing Day
- June 21st – National Selfie Day
- June 21st – Father’s Day
- June 23rd – International Widow’s Day
- June 26th – Beautician’s Day
- National Anti Boredom Month
- Christmas in July
- July 1st – International Joke Day
- July 2nd – I Forgot Day
- July 4th – American Independence Day
- July 11th – Cheer Up The Lonely Day
- July 24th – Tell An Old Joke Day
- July 26th – Aunt And Uncle Day
- July 27th – Take Your Pants For A Walk Day
- July 30th – Father In Law Day
- Family Fun Month
- National Eye Exam Month
- 1st week – National Simplify Your Life Week
- 2nd week – National Smile Week
- 3rd week – Friendship Week
- August 1st – National Girlfriends Day
- August 2nd – Friendship Day
- August 16th – National Tell A Joke Day
- August 17th – National Thriftshop Day
- August 21st – Senior Citizen’s Day
- August 22nd – Be An Angel Day
- August 31st – National Eat Outside Day
- First Sunday after Labor Day – Grandparent’s Day
- September 20th – Wife Appreciation Day
- Adopt A Shelter Dog Month
- American Pharmacist Month
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- National Diabetes Month
- 1st Week – Get Organized Week
- 2nd Week – Fire Prevention Week
- October 1st – International Coffee Day
- October 1st – International Day For The Elderly
- October 5th – Do Something Nice Day
- October 6th – Physician Assistant Day
- October 9th – Fire Prevention Day
- October 12th – Moment Of Frustration Day
- October 14th – National Take Your Parents To Lunch Day
- October 24th – Make A Difference Day
- October 25th – Mother In Law Day
- October 27th – Black Cat Day
- National Caregivers Appreciation Month
- National Diabetes Awareness Month
- November 2nd – Plan Your Epitaph Day
- November 4th – Check Your Blood Pressure Day
- November 5th – Men Make Dinner Day
- November 13th – Caregiver Appreciation Day
- November 13th – World Kindness Day
- November 14th – World Diabetes Day
- November 15th – Clean Your Refrigerator Day
- Spiritual Literacy Month
- December 9th – Christmas Card Day
- December 12th – National Ding-a-Ling Day
- December 25th – Christmas Day
- December 28th – Card Playing Day
We hope you enjoy these holidays with your elderly parents or loved ones. Every day can be a special day – all you have to do is to just be a little creative!