Menu Close

Energy Assistance

The best way for an elderly homeowner or renter to stay warm during winter is with the help of energy assistance programs. These state-run funds provide low income homeowners money so they can pay their utility bill, no matter where you live in America.

Eligibility requirements may vary from state to state.

What Are Energy Assistance Programs?

Energy assistance programs help low-income households with their energy bills. The programs vary from state to state, but most offer some form of financial assistance to help cover the costs of heating and cooling your home.

Some programs also provide weatherization services to help make your home more energy efficient.

If you are struggling to pay your energy bills, contact your state’s energy assistance program to see if you qualify for assistance.

You can find your state’s program by visiting the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) website.

Who Is Eligible For Energy Assistance?

There are a few different programs that offer energy assistance, and each have their own eligibility requirements.

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a federally-funded program that provides assistance to low-income households in order to help them with energy costs.

To be eligible for LIHEAP, households must meet both an income test and a resource test.

The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is another federally-funded program that helps low-income households with energy costs. WAP provides weatherization and energy efficiency improvements to homes, which can help reduce energy bills.

To be eligible for WAP, households must meet both an income test and a resource test.

How Much Can I Save?

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) can help you with your utility bills.

The amount of assistance you receive is based on your income, family size, and the type of fuel you use to heat your home. You may be eligible for help with:

  • Your primary heating costs
  • Electricity costs
  • Weatherization and minor home repairs

Payments are made directly to your utility company or fuel vendor. You can use the money to pay your energy bill, disconnection notice, or past due balances.

If you have an emergency situation and need help with your energy bills right away, you may be able to get a one-time crisis grant.

To find out if you qualify for assistance, contact your state or local LIHEAP office. You can also call the National Energy Assistance Referral Project at 1-866-674-6327 to be referred to your state’s LIHEAP office.

Sign Up For Our
Weekly Newsletter!

Filled with…

Article of the week
Latest published posts
Recall notices

Click Here To Subscribe